Pan Optix Lens

Posted , 9 users are following.

If you have had a cataract surgery with a Pan Optix lens, could you describe your vision?

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ellen, sorry that we kind of hijacked your thread. You may want to look at the thread at the link below for some more input. It is fairly long and I recall there are all kinds of opinions pro and con.

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/panoptix-experience-718184

I have no direct experience with the PanOptix. My surgeon told me on my first consult for my first eye that he had a hard time recommending this lens as he would not use it for his own eyes. I also have a friend that had less than perfect experience with the PanOptix in both eyes. The reader's digest version is that she (after at least a couple of years) is afraid to drive at night due to the in her words, "huge halos" around oncoming car and street lights. Her vision is good during the day, except she needs +1.75 readers to read a book. She regrets making the decision to spend the extra money for a MF lens as she is now stuck with a driving issue and has again in her words "dozens of readers" in two different houses and in her trailer.

This all said some like the PanOptix lens. I think it kind of depends on how much value you put on going without glasses, and how prepared you are prepared to put up with the optical side effects. I was not willing to accept the risk, and I think I can get similar or perhaps better results with mini-monovision. This is a solution that many overlook.

• Posted

imo pan optix is the 2nd best trifocal out there in the world. the best is zeiss. i put pan optix at 2 due to glistening which is damage to lens material. i do not care about the cat eye effect.

pan optix clareon is fda approved but not yet available. that could have taken care of the glistening and would probably make the pan optix the best.

i think jnj has missed the trick with synergy by embedding edof.

again these are my opinions only. good luck with your decision.

• Posted

Where can I get information about Clareon? Is it supposed to minimize halos and glare?

• Posted

If you google this article there is a good comparison of Clareon to AcrySof IQ. Optically they are both the same. Neither should have significant issues with halos or flare.

Comparison of Visual Outcomes and Patient Satisfaction Following Cataract Surgery with Two Monofocal Intraocular Lenses: Clareon® vs AcrySof® IQ Monofocal

• Posted

I read that Pan Optix Clareon is being launched in the U.S. in March 2022. Do you know anything about this?

• Posted

yes it is supposed to give benefits of panoptix while improving the quality of the iol material.

• Posted

Are there any studies for a Clareon Trifocal lens?

• Posted

I have not seen any study specific to the Clareon PanOptix. They are supposed to be available now in the US. My expectation is that they would be very similar if not identical to the AcrySof PanOptix with respect to the issues of starbursts, halos, and flare/glare. I have a monofocal AcrySof IQ in one eye, and a Clareon monofocal in the other eye. At night there might be very slightly less flare around point sources of lights like headlights or streetlights in the Clareon eye. I would suggest the difference is hard to see and insignificant.

• Posted

I had surgery done in July on right eye withPanOptix, have't had any Problems except now it seems to tear up and runs down face. I can see without glasses most everything. I did not have left eye done, I use my contact in it which works quite well to balance every thing

• Edited

l need cataract surgery within a year and still deciding, l spoke to two optomerists one said l should go with standard monofocal distance the other said should go with panoptix trifocal as long as l dont drive at night which l dont, so l am not sure, l am starting to think somewhere inbetween and go with Sympony EDOF. l dont go out much at night so if the only problem with panoptix is night vision it would'nt bother me. The cat eye thing would'nt bother me less . l'm young for cataracts 48 so l need to make the right choice as l may be stuck with them for the next 40 years. l dont mind glasses if they are just for reading and computer but l dont want to have to put on glasses for every daily activity like making a meal and so on. l read the panoptix has slightly lower contrast then what you get with standard monofocal, with standard monofocal you get 100% of the light but with panoptix l think its 88% but they say you only notice the difference in poor light such as twilight . If the only noticable side effect with Panoptix is night vision then its one l will consider going with as long as my daily vision during the day has no side effects

• Posted

l think l read people who dont even have cataracts get panoptix trifocal put in their eyes to solve their presbyopia , for people who dont even have cataracts to get the operation to have panoptix they must be pity sure they are good

• Edited

Well actually people who get a clear eye replacement of their natural lens just to avoid wearing reading glasses are making a very foolish decision in my opinion. And, surgeons who do it are not ethical either in my opinion. Currently IOLs have too many issues with them to use them for cosmetic surgery. Beware of any surgeon that promotes this practice.

• Posted

I had a great experience with Panoptix lenses. My vision before cataract surgery was -11 in left eye with 4.5 astigmatism and -13 in right eye with 2.5 astigmatism, so I was really myopic and dependent on glasses (since 3rd grade). I had Panoptix toric lenses implanted in both eyes, 2 weeks apart. No issues and my vision is now 20/20 far and I can see great both intermediate (computer monitor) and close (phone/print). I do have pretty significant haloes at night around headlights and street lights. I can drive but it's not great. My near vision is noticeably worse in dim light. I'm OK with these trade-offs as I am now free from glasses forever which was a big deal for me, having lived with such bad vision for so long.

I don't get this forum. If I would have read through all the posts here before my surgery I would have been very hesitant to get the Panoptix lenses with people endlessly commenting on "glistenings", etc.

I guess it's in the nature of an on-line forum to focus on negatives and negativity in general. Anyway, count me as a positive success story.

• Posted

I think there are several issues at play. First, there are issues with the PanOptix lenses in that they have a higher degree of halos and flare from lights at night. They also suffer from poorer reading vision when the light level goes down. Some people are well informed and are prepared to expect these issues. They tend to be more accepting of the outcome. Others are not well informed or prepared for these optical issues with the PanOptix. They tend not to be real happy with the outcomes. And of course people that are unhappy are more likely to find a forum and make posts about their disappointment.

And I think there are some other issues at play with respect to the glistenings. Surgeons who use the J&J Tecnis lenses instead of Alcon like to play up that aspect even though it has been essentially resolved. The so called "cat eye" issue is similar.

This said I think there is useful information here if one can put it in context with the forum environment.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply and I did cancel my surgery partly because of this discussion group. I can still see well enough to be upset with the side effects. I decided to wait to make sure I could deal with halos and glare for the tradeoff of better daytime vision. I appreciate your honesty. I think, unfortunately, people are more willing to complain that to compliment.

• Posted

Isn't Alcon's Clareon available in the U.S. (March 2022) and able to minimize halos and glare?

• Posted

I am in Canada and the Clareon monofocal is available now, and I have one in my left eye, along with an AcrySof IQ in my right eye. The Clareon lens may have very slightly less flare, but it is really insignificant. Monofocals have little flare and should have no halos at all. I don't have any halo effect in either eye.

There is supposed to be a Clareon PanOptix coming out. I would be very surprised if it has any less flare or halos than the standard PanOptix has. It is the design of the PanOptix that causes the problem, not the material that they use to make the lens. Clareon is a new material only, not a new design.

• Posted

Is Clareon only a monofocal? I thought Alcon had a Clareon trifocal.

• Posted

Yes, I think they plan to make a Clareon PanOptix lens, but availability may be limited depending on your area.

• Posted

My eye surgeon has indicated that he will be using the new lens in 4 months after training because it is inserted in a different manner because it is a different material.

• Posted

I had a Clareon monofocal put in about 7 weeks ago. It uses a new preloaded IOL delivery system called AutonoMe. CO2 pressure is used to insert the lens into the capsule in the eye. It is claimed to be easier use and less likely to damage the lens during the procedure. I asked my surgeon about any issues with the new system. He said he thought it was a bit of a gimmick and not really necessary, but it was easy to use. My procedure seemed to go well.

• Posted

Any side effects? Halos or glare?

• Posted

No, there is no significant halos or glare. All I have to compare it to is my other eye which has the AcrySof IQ lens. If anything there might be slightly less flare effect from oncoming headlights with the Clareon. The Clareon lens is supposed to transmit about 10% more light, but I notice no difference between the lenses. I presume the pupil compensates for it.

I do have a positive dysphotopsia effect with both lenses. With the AcrySof IQ eye I had a PVD event about 10 months after the lens was implanted. Coincidental with that I started to see kind of a shooting star effect in the far right (temple) peripheral side of that eye, but only when it is dark and there is a significant point light source from the front left side. It is kind of a trivial issue, but it is there. I think it is due to a reflection off the edge of the lens when my pupils are wide open in dark surroundings.

With the Clareon lens in my left eye I fortunately have not had the PVD so far. But, I have noticed a similar but much much less prominent shooting star effect in this eye. It is a bit different. It does not occur just in dark conditions, but in almost any conditions. You have to be really looking for it to notice it. Again it must be a reflection off the edge of the lens, but in this eye, it does not seem to need the pupil to be wide open.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.