Pancreatic cancer, liver disease, or IBS? I'm freaking out.

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, just to give some background I am a 26 yr old female, about 5'9 and 120lbs, so I'm fairly small but definitely not in shape. I'm looking for judgement as I know I lived a hard life, I'm just looking for advice. From about 17-23 I lived a pretty intense party life with heavily smoking cigarettes, weed, and drinking alcohol.  At 23 I officially quit smoking and tried to cut down my party style to where I only smoke weed at night cuz it's the only thing that puts into a solid sleep without waking up all night or feeling like crap in the morning, but unfortunately I have not given up drinking or been able to really cut it down too much. On average I'd say I have 2 drinks that consist of 3 shots each, not that I drink every night but if you put it all together it would add to that or more but I drink probably 4 times a week and I'm capable of drinking a lot. I've always been fairly healthy with healthy bowel movements and I drink at least 4 bottles of water a day. Around the time I turned 22 my movement hit a brick wall and just stopped happening, the only time I could go was if I drank the night before or took a laxative. 

This was accompanied by crazy stomach pain, bloating and gas. Sometimes I'd have mucus or only be able to pass a pencil thin stool or pebble type. At 23 I had all sorts of test done from full blood count, stool tests, ultrasound, CT scan, and finally endoscopy/ colonoscopy that showed nothing abnormal, I got diagnosed with IBS C and take linzess 145 or trulance every morning to try and live a normal life. Since all the tests I've blamed all my symptoms on IBS and just kept going cuz it's not like I have time or money to be tested at the hospital all day everyday. Recently in the last 2 months I've been spitting up small amounts of blood in my phlegm about 1-3 times a day. I do not cough or try hard to spit up phlegm, it's just there.  2 weeks ago I had an x ray for my lungs which came back normal. In the last 2 weeks I've developed dull to sharp pain in my upper left abdomen under the rib cage that was spread to my back just under the shoulder blade. This pain has been persistent but not enough to keep me from my daily routine. Sometimes I also feel dull pain in my upper right abdomen but not as much as the left. In the last year I've had random very sharp, almost electric/ stabby, ripping pain in the upper middle part of my abdomen between the rib cage that can last anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes. I'm also always tired, not enough to not live my day but enough to were I wouldn't mind just sitting and doing nothing, also when I talk to ppl I find myself running out breath very easy for no reason. The other day I almost passed out walking a mile. I have a raw spot that keeps showing up on the tip of my left nostril that flakes and peels after a while and idk if it's related to anything or not. I keep trying to talk to my doctors about this stuff but I feel like they won't consider anything since I've been diagnosed with IBS and to be honest they kick me out faster than I can list all my problems but I am terrified I've done some horrible damage to myself from my past life style. I know I'm young for cancer but im idk what else to think. I am getting another ultrasound in a week but the thought of not knowing what's wrong with me is killing me. Can anyone out there relate or help give insight on this plz? 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Also I've obviously had all sorts of stool types in the last 4 from pencil, pebbles, floaters, pale, green, greasy, and when I take my meds I seem to mostly have diarrhea even though my condition is mostly constpation.

• Posted

Stool changes are common with IBS.  Medications can cause diarrhoea too.  However, some people with IBS have a mixture of constipation and diarrhoea.  Do not worry.  Worry makes IBS a lot worse.
  • Posted

Weight loss is common in many cancers. My uncle had pancreatic cancer and experienced extensive weight loss as well problems with his skin, such as itchiness and jaundice. Jaundice is also a common symptom associated with liver disease. It's a good sign if you're not experiencing those two common symptoms. An ultrasound could pick up cancer, as it picked up a woman's liver cancer. Abdominal pain can be caused by many things.. You should relax and understand that pancreatic cancer is only the 8th most common cancer for women and causes 3% of all cancers. It is considered rare. Less than 200,000 people are diagnosed with it a year. Often people will point to cancer when something is wrong because it is the dreaded disease, when there are so many different kinds of things that could be causing the problem. My dad had these symptoms and it turned out to be his gallbladder. My sister had these symptoms and it turned out to be her kidney. My boyfriend is currently having the same symptoms as you and all of his tests are coming up normal.. He also has IBS and a history of smoking, weed, and alcohol.. Maybe it's related somehow. Hope this all resolves. 

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I know it's easy to stress about and unfortunately the stress gets me a lot. I put it off for a long time cuz of the tests and being diagnosed IBS C but the blood and back pain sparked my worries all over again. I'm hoping my ultrasound doesn't show anything serious but maybe might help give me an answer, just sucks waiting so long to find out.

• Posted

If it comes up clear you should look into SIBO. Its a bacteria overgrowth that I have read many people who had it were misdiagnosed with IBS cuz it is not well understood. But if you don't have that I think it is safe to say this is caused by your IBS unless other concerning symptoms begin to appear like unintended weight loss. There is an IBS treatment center in Seattle that works to treat IBS in natural ways w/o medication if you are interested. However, many people consider it a last resort because it is rather pricey.

• Posted

Your bowel symptoms sound like IBS but I don’t know what your other symptoms are.  Your ultrasound will tell you more.  Wait for that.
  • Posted

Wow

Umm ive had the ache which would go around to back and thought it might be kidneys but nope it was ibs.

Youve had loads of tests, perhaps you should look at FODMAP and also you may also suffer from anxiety

I thinks the main thing is if u have not lost loads of weight without trying, and there is no blood in stools, and your stools are not black you should be ok.

As for pancreas, that is part of the digestive system, have u ever checked your blood sugars?

You can get a little machine from any pharmacy or docs cost around £0-£35 ($0-$50)

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yes when I was first diagnosed they have me all that and while yes I did feel a bit healthier when I was able to afford better food, it didn't seem to in any way change my bowel habits or IBS symptoms at all.

• Posted

Your over-all condition is a lot more serious than IBS. You need to check into a rehab clinic. See if your insurance will cover it.
    • Posted

Not sure what you mean by all- over condition. I drink more than I should but I'm working on minimizing the amounts and days. I know it sounds stupid but the reason I don't like prescription sleep meds is due to them causing more bad affects on your liver and heart and knowing I already do some damage there I try not to add to it but for sleep it seems no matter what something will have to suffer. IBS causes a lot of my symptoms but there's a couple things that I just don't feel are adding up. Like I said I'm not here for judgement I just want to be honest so that I can more accurate responses. 

• Posted

In my opinion you need to go to a hospital like the Mayo Clinic and have a complete work up.  You don't need to go to a doctor that doesn't listen.  I am not preaching but you know consuming that much alcohol is not good for your liver or heart. If you are not an alcoholic then cut down to no more then one to two drinks a night.  All I know is that you need to straighten out your health and start living a healthy life.

• Posted

Hi Alice, I’m wondering if you ever got any answers to your symptoms? I’m having a lot of the same symptoms and getting no where wit doctors, I have an endoscopy scheduled for September because they think I could have gastritis caused by H. pylori so they’ll be testing me for both of those things and I’m just praying that’s what it is because the only other thing my symptoms match is pancreas related. I’m 30 female and have 3 beautiful babies that I’m scared of leaving. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.