Pancreatic disorders - other symptoms

Posted , 5 users are following.

Wondering what other symptoms the pancreatic disorders (CP, exocrine insufficiency, etc) cause (besides the obvious digestive problems)?

Specifically, I'm wondering if some nervous system and multple chemical sensitivity issues I have stem from a 20-year history of pancreas problems. 

Also, can repeated pancreas damage leave a person unable to tolerate alcohol (I know one with pancreas problems shouldn't drink...I'm asking about developing a complete and total intolerance)? This would make logical sense to me, but I can't find any definitive info online. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi onebratt,

I used to have a drink or two a few nights a week. Up towards my chronic pancreatits diagnoses I was going from pleasant happy buzz to tired, groggy, bloated and grumpy after drinking alcohol. With the timing I definitely feel the degrading of my pancreas had to do with alcohol not sitting well with me anymore.

• Posted

Can I ask if you felt this whilst drinking or the following day? Plus did it happen everytime or randomly? I've had upper left pain for 7 years. Still no proper diagnosis but I worry about CP even though all tests including MRI are clear. Sometimes I can drink and feel fine, others the following day I feel terrible, stabbing pains upper left Tummy and back, hot flushes, palpitations. This can sometimes happen after just a couple of drinks or I can have quite a few and be fine!
  • Posted

Hi !

Yes, if you have pancreatitis or think you have, don't drink alcohol ! Never, not one glass or drop. Never! I realise that this is difficult especially if you need the stuff to live. But, you won't LIVE if you continue to drink alcohol and suffer from any form of pancreatitis. It is only a decision that you can make. Is it worth it? Of course it is . You have only  one life and the decision is yours. 

Good luck and good health to you,

Regards,

Pete.

• Posted

Hi, Am I right thinking you're trying to establish links between other ailments you have to your CP?  A hard question.  I guess that comes down to individual genetics.

I had medically diagnosed Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) many years before I developed Pancreatitis.  The MCS came about as a result of another rare hereditary genetic disease I have. 

Whilst obscure I found one article (which I can't find now) that linked my other disease to Pancreatitis in very rare instances although the connection would be difficult to prove I think (if anyone would bother trying) and besides so what, the impact is the same either way, but the one I was born with came in before Pancreatitis so I'm reversing your theory I guess.

Regarding alcohol.  People with pancreatitis cannot tolerate alcohol.  It can have dire consequences therefore we are intolerant.

Again referring back to my other disease, I was told to avoid alcohol way back when I was a small child because alcohol is a known trigger for that disease too.

• Posted

Yes. Had pancreatitis on and off for 20 years for ideopathic reasons (never was really a drinker). Many other health symptoms showing up 4-5 years ago and docs can not figure out what is going on. MCS is one of the worst symptoms. Occasionally, I would have a sip of my husband's wine or other drink, but I get very instantly sick if I do that now (like an instant hangover). Plus very sensitive to perfumes, cleaning chemicals, new furniture, car exhaust, etc. 

Thanks for the replies!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.