Pancreatitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

7/2 I went to ER after 2 dys of excruciating pain in upper and upper let abdomen.  My lipase was 4409!!!  The first 2 days in hosp. I did nothing but scream.  The pain management was basically non exsistant until my hubby lit a fire under their asses.  Then I was given 1 ml of dilaudid every 2 hours with 20 mg of Norco alternating every 2 hours.  Only took the edge off.  I was in the hospital for a week and released.  No plans given.  Levels were normal when discjarged, but pain was still 6 out of 10.  Follow up with my PCP 1 week later, lipase level was back up.  Went back in hospital 8/22.  Lipase levels were over 900.  Had an endoscopy w/ultrasound.  Found a cyst containing pancreatic enzymes.  No cancer, no infection.  Was kept in hospital for a week with 3 ml of Dilaudid every 2 hours.  That took the edge off.  Sent home 8/10.  Tired of the crap.  I;ve been in pain for 2 months.  Sending my records to Stanford.  My question is how high should my pain level be before I go to eR?  My husband is fed up with this, so I;m trying to act normally, but I can hardly breathe.  If I go back and am admitted again, I don't think my marriage would be pleasant (40 yrs).  He is taking his frustation about the situation out on me.  He's retiring next year, and this is not what we have planned.  also, I was diagnosed with COPD Christmas and am on oxygen 24/7.  Help!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey genna

You need to go back in to either see your doc or er right away.  Specially if it's hard to breathe. I don't know why he would take it out on you and maybe there's more to this story but right now you need to worry about your health first. Even if the check up ends of becoming nothing it's best to go and get checked up before it's too late

• Posted

He is frustrated.  We both are.  He is retiring 4/1/15 and we had plans to travel.  7/4/2009 I had a heart attack.11/10/2009 I had breast cancer  2010-2012 I had reconstructive surgery.  12/23/13-12/27-2013 I was diagnosed with COPD and am on oxygen 24/7  8/22-8/27 I'm back in the hospital again.  He always says "by all means yes, get put in the hospital...I know that will make you happy.  You know you're only going in so you can get main meds".  Sometimes it's easier to hide the pain.  On 8/22 I took  myself to the ER and he went to work and t ook our grandson to WWE that night  (preplanned, I told him he had to go).  Saw him Sat at the hospital.  He said something every time the nurse came in to give me pain meds.  I don't think he cares that all the stress makes my pancreatitis and my COPD worse.  My pancrease is so swollen, it interferes with my lungs.  I don't have room to take a deep breath.  If I get bad I will go.  I have to get my GI records Fri. so I can send them to UC San Francisco.  They have a pancreatic clinic and have some ground-breaking procedures there.  This was HIS idea, so tht should go smoothly.
  • Posted

I agree ,dont leave it till your pain is a 10 before going for help .If you are having trouble breathing it sounds like your pancreas is still inflammed.

The trouble with pancreatitis is anyone who luckily hasnt experienced the pain can understand how consuming it is .

I hope you get the support you need .

• Posted

I know he has no idea of the pain.  I think he caught on 7/5.  I'd been the hosp. screaming with pain for 2 days.  My whiteboard said my goals were pain control.  He lit a fire under the nurses and they got the doctor who changed my 1ml dillaudid from every 4 hours to every 2 hours.  Just give me an asprin!!!  He has forgotten.  My second visit I got 3 ml of dillaudid every 2 hours and he bitches about how much I'm taking.   The first trip was horrific.  I really haven't been out of pain since 7/2.   He is s f

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.