Pancreatitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

My friends son has been in hospital for pancreatitis twice in the past 5 months due to binge drinking..how serious is this?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It's very serious. Once you have an acute attack of pancreatitis, this can be considered the sentinel event in beginning of the potential to lead to chronic pancreatitis. After one attack, physicians encourage patients to wait at least one year from ingesting any amount of alcohol to allow the pancreas to heal whether it was from alcohol originally or not. Now, two attacks both revolving around drinking is not good. This person should now abstain from ever touching alcohol again.
  • Posted

hii...ask to him to totally avoid alchohol.. Have low fat food.. It is too serious and he should be made alert for the disease . He should have knowledge of the disease that this can covert in to chronic if he got more acute attacks.. Pls make him aware of this..
  • Posted

it's beyond serious.  He could end up with chronic pancreatitis or he could end up like my 55 yr old husband - dead!  If you have a couple of attacks if you stop drinking, eat well and watch yourself you can be ok.  My husband suffered for 4 months, had a pyseudo cyst on the pancreas, had surgery, blood poisoning, organ failure and pain beyond belief. ITS NOT WORTH IT.  Best wishes and best of luck   I am praying your friend can stop drinking and never have another attack again!
    • Posted

Thank you for prayers and I am so very sorry about your husband...I hate alcohol for this very reason
  • Posted

Extremely serious he should not be drinking at all Michelle, I had pancreatitis last year and a pseudo cyst I was very lucky to havesurvived. I didn't drink much before the attack and have not touched any since, my consultant told me no more alcohol unless I want to be back in hospital so please tell him to stop its not worth the pain.
  • Posted

completely true Michelle    happy you survived    as you know the psdeuo cyst is extremely serious   btw did they operate on the cyst or did it go away on its own?  Best wishes for  continued recovery   XOXO

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.