Pancreatitis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey all, it’s been a while since I’ve posted and now I’m in the hospital (currently 5 days) and I just had to get an NG because they wouldn’t allow me to eat but wanted me to have some form of nutrition. The pancreatitis was caused by my gallstones and while I’m extremely thankful to be treated because the pain was awful, I am so uncomfortable!

This NG tube has my throat feeling like there’s needles all around it, I can’t wait to get it out!! I know it’ll be just as uncomfortable to get it out as it was going in but I’m dying for some release. My levels seem to be getting better so hopefully it’ll be coming out but does anyone have some tips to make it more comfortable? It feels weird to put ice chips in my mouth or anything else but I guess I’ll have to do that. Oh, and the flushes! They feel so weird when they happen because the water is so cold. I am so ready to go home to my nice and comfy bed. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jamie, how did you get diagnosed by pancreatitis? What test? And did they remove your gallbladder already? Good to know your levels are getting better. 
    • Posted

I think they found out due to a blood test and reconfirmed with ultrasound/MRI test. They’re letting me go home to let my body relax before we continue with surgery. 
  • Posted

Jamie,

I never had one but just wanted you to know I understand and will pray for you. I hope you feel better soon. Let me know if you need me to look anything up for you. I know when I'm in the hospital, I'm usually to sick to do anything. Here to help.

I did try to look up some way to alleviate, but I got nothing. It's uncomfortable, you feel like somethings stuck in the back of your throat, runny nose. But after a couple of days, all that quiets down.

• Posted

I barely had it in for 2 days but it was not fun!! Your throat feels like it’s getting ripped in half most of the time. So thankful to be rid of it. Instant relief once it’s taken it out. 
  • Posted

So sorry to hear you have pancreatitis. I know it is a life threatening condition so take it easy and ensure you feel 100% better before leaving hospital.

I myself also had this due to gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed and a stone moved into my bile duct so i ended up having to get an endoscopy (camera down the throat) to push the stone through.

Upon doing this they irritated my pancreas. I ended up with acute pancreatitis. They found out I had this bh monitorinf my temperature, cheking kidney and liver functions and general observations. I had the hicoughs that I couldnt get rid of which is a sign of pancreatitis.

I ended up on antibiotics for 2 weeks and was stuck in the hospital all that time.

I had no energy and was drained. Lost 2 and a half stone in weight.

Its certainly not a nice experience so I hope you feel better soon

• Posted

This is exactly what happened!! Extremely exhausted. I was treated all through IVs with antibiotics and Tylenol whenever a fever hit. The only thing that touched the pain was morphine and some zofran to make sure I didn’t get sick on the side. I’m feeling extremely better and am getting sent home today after being here for a whole week!!! So glad to be going home!!! We have both conquered this horrible illness. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.