Pancreatitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have epi which came six years before my first known episode of pancreatitis, both are idiopathic. At the time my pancreatitis was duct destructive pancreatitis. I recently read there are several types of inflammation that can cause pancreatitis.

I often feel my pancreatitis comes and goes so even with taking enzymes I'm careful about my fat intake.

So I'm curious if anyone knows:

will elevated lipase appear in blood work to indicate pancreatitis when there is also epi or will epi prevent elevated lipase even though the pancreas is inflamed?

Also, if there are different types of inflammation that can cause pancreatitis, wouldn't that mean the pain can vary too? Meaning the type, location (the whole length or just the head for example) and intensity of pain is directly related to the type of inflammation.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I cannot answer your question about epi, but I can tell you that my pain moves around. it was consistently in one place (stabbing pain on the left) when I had pseudocysts on the tail. These days, my left ribcage hurts consistently, along with a patch on the left of my spine. It does "crawl around" like a snake, though, and can be unpredictable.

FYI, I have "diffuse" pancreatitis.

Hope that helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.