Pancreatitis and diarrhea

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had very acute pancreatitis and was in the hospital for a total of 68 days. I didn't eat for 96 days. I had a pic line for over 90 days and now I have had a feed tube for the last 4 months. I've been eating regular food since the feed tube hasn't been used for the last month and a half or so. It's still there for precautionary measures. My question is now I have a lot of gas when I go to the bathroom, whereas my movements are explosions of gas and other matter. I don't have normal bowel movements, it's about 75% loose or diarrhea like. Has any one else had these type of problems? Is this a symptom of something more serious and also what can I do to solve this problem? 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Talk to your GI asap.  It is a symptom that your condition could be morphing into chronic pancreatitis.  Or maybe your GI symptom needs some help recovering, still.  My doctors put me on Omaprazole to help with heartburn and "indigestion" symptoms, I have found some help taking alka seltzer or using Tums to ease the gas.   But a doctor should tell you what you can tolerate and take with anything else you might be taking.  I know I never had digestive problems with gas and all until my pancreas issues appeard.  But the pancreas affects other internal organs, and it isn't a good idea to just try to deal with it on your own.  

• Posted

should have said "your GI system needs some help recovering"

• Posted

Hi phillyboy. Sorry to read that you are struggling..i had a pic line last year and was on TPN for four months. This year I had a feeding tube as well. Those problems are extremely common with pancreatits and chronic pancreatits. Are you taking digestive enzymes such as creon or zenpep? They absolutely help with digestion. You have to be careful with the diareah as it's so easy to get dehydrated from pancreatits or chronic pancreatits which I have. Malabsorption is another thing you have to watch out for given the pancreas isn't working properly so the body doesn't absorb vitamins and nutrients easily leaving us malnutritioned. 

• Posted

Sorry, when I said those problems, I meant the diareah and gas and heinous bloating as well...not the pic and feeding tube..
  • Posted

I took Creon for about 9 months and that seemed to stop the diarrhea. I believe I have a mild case of CP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.