Pancreatitis and losing consciousness

Posted , 2 users are following.

Im a 37 year old male who recently went through an attack of acute pancreatitis. Without realizing it I had many symptoms long before my attack. It started with what felt like a hangover that wouldn't go away after a night of heavy drinking. Then I developed diarrhea that was at times foaming and foul smelling. I began losing a lot of weight and couldn't figure out why. One night after work I was texting a friend and I started getting double vision and my eyelids felt extremely heavy. At some point I passed out and came too several hours later and it felt like the room was spinning and I just felt very wrong. I made it to the bedroom and grabbed my phone to call someone and I passed out again. I woke up a couple of hours later very sick to my stomach and I began vomiting. I got a ride to the ER where they ran some tests and the DR told me my lypase was 2600 and I was having pancreatitis. It wasn't until shortly after that the pain started and I spent a week in the hospital. My illness continued until I had my gallbladder removed after which I felt pretty good. Well recently I've had another episode of losing consciousness just like before and after that I slept? about two days straight but experienced no pain. My question is has anyone else had similar symptoms or even heard of it happening like this? I'm concerned about chronic pancreatitis but maybe even more so about having bouts of losing consciousness.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I never passed out but your symptoms are normal. It sounds like that you might have Chronic Gallbladder Pancreatitis even though your gall bladder has since been removed. Mine was too during the time I developed Chronic Calcific Pancreatitis. Alcohol is the leading cause of both acute and chronic Pancreatitis. Yet, I was never a heavy drinker. I drank during college days and socially in my 30's and 40's but not so much in past 15 years. A 2600 level lipase is indeed high and would most likely yield acute pancreatitis. Were you in a lot of pain? Pancreatitis is a very painful condition for about 80% of people with it. I have little pain. I will always have Pancreatitis and often an acute attack can turn into Chronic which never goes away. In fact, its a slow and progressive disease. It will get worse before it does better if you have Chronic. Foul smelling stools that are fatty and float on top of the water is a major sign that your pancreas is acting up again. Were you ever on pancreatic enzymes? Pancreas deals with both endocrine and exocrine functions. Endocrine being the way your insulin (glycogen) is utilized and Exocrine, being the enzymes Lipase, Amylase and Tripase are secreted in the small intestines to break down our food so it can be absorbed. I would highly recommend that you have your Dr. check these values at least every six months. Most pain is a dull ache mid sternum to lower abdomen that radiates straight through to your back. If you develop the pain you will come to know what it feels like very quickly. Many patients are in and out of the hospital so that they can receive IV fluids and nothing by mouth along with morphine till their flareup subsides. Again, read up on Gallbladder Pancreatitis and see if your symptoms are similar. I still have four stones in the head of my pancreas that are inoperable and are slowly growing. Until one migrated to the main pancreatic duct, they want do anything about them accept monitor you and treat the symptoms you're experiencing. I've had one ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancretigraphy) once with placement of a stint. Hopefully your Dr. will do a high resolution CAT scan with and without contrast to see how you're doing. Or, an endoscopic ultrasound. Good luck and keep us posted. If you want to talk in prvt shoot me a PM.

DJRN

• Posted

* I didn't mean your symptoms are normal normal, I meant they're normal according to what you are experiencing!

DJRN

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.