Pancreatitis? Been pretty worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

So, over the last year or so I've been drinking pretty heavily (I'm 20), and after my last night out a few weeks ago, the next day I was fine. However, the day after that, I began experiencing mild abdominal discomfort periodically and dull pains in my left side for a few minutes every so often. None of the pain was unbearable, just mildly irritating - I could still go about my daily routine with little impediment and even work out. This lasted for a few days. No fever or chills, no pain getting worse after eating, etc. Then they went away and I was fine for about a week. Then I began experiencing these same pains again with increased flatulence and gas, however again the pains were not debilitating at all and they increase slightly after eating. The pains are not constant, I normally get them like a few times a day for about a minute or so. Stools are fine, no fever or chills, no nausea or vomitting at all. Overall I've just been feeling gassy (no distention or anything either) and after I go to the washroom I normally feel better but that left abdominal pain that comes and goes has beem scaring me. Sometimes its in the lower abdomen and sometimes its in the higher region. I'm really confused. Seeing a doc today.

Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Evan, sorry to hear about ur recent struggle!!! My suggestion to you is for now dont drink NO alcohol and eat low in fat. My husband has CP and i wish i knew about this sooner, because i feel he wouldn't be going through half the suffering he goes through. Make sure the doctors rule out CP because its not reversible and has no cure and rule out any other major issue if any.

Good luck!!!

• Posted

Thank you Elizabeth. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Mild Pancreatitis and let me tell you it is debilitating. I don't tell my husband when I'm hurting he's over it with me and my pain. He's just not supportive enough, but Thank you for the advise again. Hope Evan finds out what's going on. I hope he quits drinking for now.

• Posted

Hello Patty I'm so sincerely sad about the lack of support your reviving from your husband. This is a hard illness to live with and it definitely affects the entire family. When i met my husband he was very ill and dealing with an unknown illness until i met him and i fought for an answer. What i have found is that with this illness u need a good support group from ur partner/family to ur doctors. I hope that eventually u find that because its hard dealing with nasty medical staff to also have to deal with frustrated family members.

I will say just from a family member standpoint that its not easy....

Its life sucking to see the person u love in so much pain that they ask u to ''sedate them please'' because they cant stand the pain.or

How about when u get the nasty Dr or nurses that want to judge. Or

How about the days i dont get to sleep because i had a long day/night with him then straight home to take care of the kids

I have a 1 year old and sometimes its a lot even for me, but i choose to think that im strong enough to stick around and fight with him!!!

This is hard on everyone involved and i hope eventually u guys will get to that place of team work.

I have also found a group on facebook that i like very much its more personal in my opinion, because u get to see photos of people and see there post on ur time line. In my opinion, it makes me feel less alone, since i get to read similar stories and not only friends n family with so called perfect life's.

''Survivors of pancreatitis''

Good luck!!!

P.s. if u have any questions on what we have tried just let me know.

• Posted

Elizabeth thank you so much for your response. There's not much that I can do but hope and pray and stay strong.

Prayers for you and your spouse as well.

Thank you

Patsy

• Posted

Hi Evan, wait until you hear what the doctor has to say.  We all have different onset experiences but what you describe doesn't sound like pancreatitis

to me, yet anyway.

There are so called 'safe' levels re alcohol consumption, not just to enable one to steer clear of the highway patrol, but also for 'safe' physical consumption (for some no amount is safe).  Young people tend to over do it, it's almost like a right of passage, a competition to see who can drink the most with little thought to possible outcomes.  I get it but most forget they'll mature and be over that phase in a couple of years and then be ready to embark on a career and start a family and be as healthy as they can be.  If you're concerned enough to know the potential for damage you're smart enough to place sensible limits on yourself regardless of the reason you're having these pains. 

I've never consumed alcohol but have chronic pancreatitis anyway.  If you have acute pancreatitis you shouldn't drink alcohol again even though in theory one can be 'normal' again once the attack is over.  Many people tend to have more than one acute attack and it can end up being chronic which is something you don't want to experience believe me. 

If it is an acute attack there's a lot of info and plenty of people here to talk to about any issues you may have.  Good luck.

• Posted

Dear Evan

I agree with Elizabeth - don't drink any alcohol.  If it is pancreatitis, alcohol will only make it much worse.  Lay off oily or fatty foods.  Large bowls of pasta should go out the window as well.  

Once you have a diagnosis, you should see a nutritionist or dietician.  

Best of luck.  Don't let it get you down.

• Posted

Hello Evan,

Ask the physician to run labs that include (Serum Amylase and Lipase).  While the values don't always rise before, during or after an attack, it is still a good indicator of pancreaitis.  Further, ask him to do a fecal fat tests.  

As far as nutrition, eat smaller meals more frequently as opposed to large meals and cut out the fat.  Drink lots of fluids. 

Pancreatitis pain can vary, but often radiates to the back and patients find that certain positions, i.e., laying on one side help to alleviate the pain. 

And whatever you do, cease from all future alcohol intake and if you smoke, stop.  I cannot stress these two points enough. 

Good luck.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.