Pancreatitis Diet Recipes

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I just got out of the hospital for acute pancreatitis and put on the low fat diet. I am having a very hard time finding foods I can eat, I'm a pretty picky eater but I'm guessing this will have to change. Can anyone give me good recipes or a website to find some?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis about 3 months ago.  I too have been searching for recipes, hints, anything.  Talked to my GI doc and he has given me a referral to a dietitian; it's scheduled.  Hopefully she can "name names" so to speak as far as brands, recipes, etc.  So far I have been shopping using the criteria of nothing above 5% fat.  First few trips took forever, reading labels.  Basically no red meat.  Chicken and fish become your friend.  Also, pork tenderloin is about 6%.  I braze it in a teaspoon of veg oil, season to taste, cover and turn down heat.  I add in potatoes and onions.  Makes a yummy meal.  Just about any veggie is OK.  Fresh fruit, fresh veggies.  Canned veggies are good as well as canned fruit in natural juice.  My suggestion is to just dive in and start hunting.  You'll soon get a feel for what is going to fit the diet and what will not. 

Oh, had my first meal in a restaurant yesterday.  Went to Ruby Tuesday's and asked for their nutritional information.  Was handed a binder with all the info listed.  Had grilled zuccini, green beans and broccoli, and rice pilef.  It was delicious, more than I could eat and I did not have to cook or clean it up myself.  HURRAY! 

Once I get to the dietitian, I'll share any info I get. 

Hang in there, it can be done.  Are you on any meds now, i.e. Creon?

• Posted

Oh thank you so much. I also went to the store, read labels and it did take forever but I think everything I got is ok. I am not on any meds except an antibiotic, I got tomorrow for a follow up so that might change. Let me know what you find out at the dietian, I'm sure she will have plenty of pointers.
  • Posted

Hi Christen. It sucks getting hospitalized for pancreatitis. I've been there. Do yourself a favor and try to calm down the pancreas and liver. I would suggest at least one to two glasses of organic prune juice daily. Fresh Ginger tea with fresh lemon. Only try to eat homemade chicken soup. Yogurt is okay. It will take at least one week on this type of diet to feel better. Do not whatsoever eat red meat or anything fatty. You will pay. A lot of tummy and organ massage also helps . Just look up cleanse the natural way. This has kept me out of the hospital at least seven times. Good luck.
  • Posted

From recent experience I can tell you that stress pays a huge factor.  I home senior labrador retrievers and my oldest, 13, only has a short time left.  It's day to day with her.  That's one stressor.  A week ago my German shepherd got skunked and got into the house before I realized.  What a mess and without being able to open up the house to air out, it's a battle getting the smell out.  That's the second stressor.  The next day, son-in-law passed away leaving my daughter and 5 kids.  Huge stressor.  It's been horrible around here for a while but things are beginning to ease up.  My CP is only now settling down.  Nothing too bad, just discomfort, but have been sticking to the diet very strictly.  Now's the time to do what you need to take care of yourself.  My prayers are with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.