Pancreatitis of Pancreatic Cancer?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've read some of the discussions on here about Pancreatic problems. Of course the only way to find out for sure is with an Ultrasound or CT scan. I've had constant pain of varying degree for 5 weeks. The pain started just below the ribs in the middle then moved to the upper left section. It is either a constant dull ache the whole time, or at times a burning and stabbing pain. It seems to move right to the left hand side at times, and very slightly to the upper back.

I used to drink a lot of alcohol for 4 years, about 80 units a week but I don't drink as much in the last year. I've had some blood tests which didn't show anything wrong with the Pancreas but the GP has organised an abdominal ultra in two weeks time. 

The pain is the main symptom, but I have had mild nausea, very mild loss of appetite and a general fatigue and lack of energy. Bowel movements were regularly one day but now they seem to be around once every two days, just in the last week. Does this seem like a pancreas related problem?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Whilst pain is part of it digestion issues resulting in loose, foul smelling, fatty stools which can be yellowish/pale and usually occur quite soon after eating are also common.  That was my experience anyway. 

We're all different, try not drinking alcohol at all and adopting a low fat diet and see if you feel any better.  Don't smoke either the pancreas really hates it.  

Have all the tests and bear in mind that there are many reasons why you might have those symptoms, not just pancreatitis.

• Posted

I've read about that. Digestion doesn't seem too off yet, I've heard in the early stages of Chronic Pancreatitis it can just start with pain, but I've never had Acute Pancreatitis.

I'm drinking less, just 2 pints a day at the moment. I had 3 days off completely but the pain never got any better. 

Pancreatitis sounds awful but still better than the cancer version. I'm 33 but of course it is still a worry.

• Posted

No one here can give you medical advice - that’s your doctor’s job. However, if you suspect you have a pancreas problem you should stop drinking any alcohol immediately until you are told otherwise. Cut back on fatty food as well. If it turns out there’s nothing up with your pancreas then you drink again but if it is a pancreas problem, you’ll have to stop for good. Your choice obviously but if you want to help yourself, you’ll do it. Don’t expect immediate results though - things take a while to settle.

I’ve had pancreatic cancer and your symptoms don’t sound like that’s your problem. However everyone is different so if you feel something is wrong, always get checked out by a doctor.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.

Well I really should stop drinking alcohol, but it is hard when I have anxiety, I will try and stop after today, only had 1 pint but had 3 yesterday. I can't imagine a live without alcohol but it would be a lot better than having pancreatic cancer. That sucks that you had the disease.

The pain radiates all under the ribs and feels quite sore and uncomfortable, only on the left hand side. If I sit up straight there is a definite pain area in the back. I've also felt generally off, but the main is the worst thing. I should try a week off drinking at the very least though.

• Posted

If you can’t live without alcohol, then you have a problem. It’s more likely to be your liver acting up if that’s the case. Get it checked out and be honest about your drinking. Once you have cirrhosis of the liver there’s no going back.
    • Posted

While this may seem like an issue, there is nothing wrong with my liver as i've had blood tests. The pain is on the right side. I think its just luck if alcohol affects someones pancreas or liver? Some people get cirrhosis and some get Chronic Pancreatitis, but obviously its not always related to alcohol. I hope its not pancreas pain but there is a nagging ache 24/7.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.