Pancreatitis sufferer

Posted , 1 user is following.

Hi

was just wondering if anyone has or is suffering from pancreatitis?

I have just brought some Alli tablets and didnt know that you may not be able to take them if you have ever suffered symptoms of pancreatitis.

I have not had an attack for over 2 years and am a bit frightened to take them incase of the dreaded pain, can anyone offer any advise please...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

sorry no but I feel you should be seeing your GP and getting a prescription if you are suitable to be taking them as the prescribed drugs are stronger, cheaper and you will get regular check up's.
  • Posted

Thank you, the only reason i brought them because my doctor refused to perscribe them as he thinks its cheating and told me to diet and excercise, I explained that i've done that but nothing happens, he still refuses. :cry:

Will try a different doc and see what they say, many thanks again.

• Posted

if you fall within the required limit's then he has no right to refuse you, it's not as if you will be getting them free as you may have to pay for the prescription.

check here:

https://patient.info/health/Orlistat-Help-With-Weight-Loss.htm

and if you fall within the criteria then as you say see another doctor and get them prescribed.

• Posted

actually as you have already bought some, ask the local pharmacy if you are ok to take them, use them and see if you lose weight then you can then pop back to a different doctor and say you didn't realise you could get them prescribed and as they seemed to work (if they do) and would like to be more closely monitored and have a prescription
  • Posted

Hi Suza,

Well i started taking them tuesday after consulting the chemist, so far so good.

Will keep you posted on the progress, at the moment not sure what can and cant eat so just watching fat content and trying do cram in 1200 cals per day.

Bit hard cause i work nights so only really eat 1 meal aday so trying to force breakfast down and get up to have lunch.

Only have about 2ish stone to lose so hoping it will be quick and painless.

Many thanks again, will contact doc's after i start seeing results all being well.

Elly

• Posted

Hi elly, i know your post is old now but i wanted to share my experience.

I started orlistat 120mg in may last year weightloss was going great i lost lots of weight, i then went on holiday to corfu where i continued to take my orlistat, then suddenly in the night i experienced severe pain an ambulance was called and i was admitted into a greek hospital turned out i had gall stones the greek doctor was doing a study at the time on orlistat and said that the orlistat had caused the stones, this was backed upby my own gp and surgeon when i returned home but i was advised to continue the orlistat

So i continued the orlistat ended up having several severe gallbladder attacks to the point stones started to move, i had an ercp to sort this out which caused me to have pancreatitis i spent xmas 2009 in intensive care and my family were told i had 24 hrs to live, fortunatly im alive and well minus a gallbladder and back on my orlistat with 3 doctors go ahead but i advise you to speak to your gp if you still have your gallbladder as id hate for anyone to go through what i did.

Regards sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.