Pancritites

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all

My partner was taken in to hospital yesterday with pancrities

From what I have read on here it's best he doesn't eat for a couple of days only take fluids till the swelling goes down

Because when he it's it flares up and cause more pain and discomfort

Be greatfull for advise very worried girlfriend

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi steff, scary stuff with crucial pancreatitis 'rules' you and your partner need to know.  There's a lot of info available so research it.  Yes fasting at first sign of attack is the usual treatment, and pain control.  He can't just start eating like normal when he returns home either, start educating him whilst he's in hospital. 

A lot of doctors and hospital staff don't know much about pancreatitis so you will be in charge of your education.  There's no magic pill cure or true management either except for diet etc. 

The pancreas has a few important jobs, it produces hormones and it produces digestive enzymes which aid digestion.  When one has pancreatitis the pancreas tends not to produce the digestive enzymes necessary to process food so one has to go on a low fat diet (and be strict about it), NEVER consume alcohol (which triggers an attack) and not smoke (the pancreas hates it and it can cause other negative consequences).  Most of us take digestive enzymes like Creon before eating anything at all, they help with digestion to a degree but don't cure the disease.

Because we can't digest food properly it's easier to eat small low fat meals more often during the day rather than the 3 regular size meals we're used to.  That means thought has to go into daily food plans.  It means one has to learn which foods are ok and which are not, it's difficult at first but absolutely imperative and it doesn't take long to sort out what works best.

The pain should be a deterrent enough to ensure we stick to the diet/no alcohol rule but even so attacks can still occur.  If your partner is diagnosed with Acute Pancreatitis and he looks after himself he may never have another attack however it's not advised to return to previous lifestyle as it can progress to Chronic Pancreatitis which I have (Chronic Auto Immune Pancreatitis). 

I'm aware of the disease every minute of every day and it isn't fun and restricts what I can and can't do.  I no longer have a social life because I can't predict or control the consequences of this disease  (I was never a drinker btw).  I'd advise you to encourage your partner to do some reading and understand just how debilitating pancreatitis can be.  It's totally unforgiving if you ignore the 'rules' and it gets to a stage when you're not able to go back, start again and do it right. 

Chronic Pancreatitis is the progressive type of the disease, one of natures cruel jokes, all one can do is try to manage it. Pancreatitis can throw up complications so it's best not to upset it.  I hope your partner is a good 'student' and takes notice of the probable consequences of not taking this episode seriously. 

You're a good partner, support is what he'll need.  I wish you both good luck.

• Posted

Hi

This is a very painful condition. . Eating makes it worse and he will need iv. Drinking is off the table. Doctors also need to check for gallstones. Hope he gets well and stays well.

• Posted

My husband has been admitted to the hospital 3x since February. They start out with no food or liquid for a few days. They have you on IV fluids only. Alot of pancreatitis cases are the result of alcohol abuse. Such is my husband's case. I would like him to go to AA but he says it's not for him. He is drinking but very little. I think he eventually will fall back into his old ways.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.