Panic about Ovary Removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm 19 and yesterday was told that I have a cyst on my left ovary. I wasn't really told anything else.

She told me to go back to my GP and that I will be referred back again in 6 weeks to see if the cyst has disappeared.

My worry is that my sister had a cyst, a very large one which ended up her needing surgery where they removed both the cyst and ovary. I am in really bad pain and feel like I'm going to throw up. I couldn't even sleep on my left hip last night.

My worry is that if it doesn't go away I will need surgery. My sisters was left and it just got worse.

If they do need to remove the cyst will my ovary be removed with it?

My sister changed a lot after the surgery. I'm just so scared.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi hun. They only take out the ovary when its really necessary. I had to have mine removed along with the cyst because the cyst was so large the damage could not be undone. Have they mentioned the size of the cyst? If its a smallish one they generally moniter it because they can go on their own. Also have you had and scans? An ultrasound or an mri? X
  • Posted

Hi,

I had a scan but all she said was that I had a cyst on the left ovary and that was it. This is why I'm so worried because I've had cramps for months.

I'm sorry to hear you had yours taken out. It sounds selfish of me to worry just about my ovary being taken away but I've seen how much my sister changed and the thought that she couldn't have children.

Also, are the constant cramps and feeling nautious normal?

Thank you for your reply! smile xx

• Posted

Yeah totally normal. Days where i was pain free were few and far between. It would hurt so much sometimes it would make me sick. I still have my other ovary and everything like that so the dr said it should not effect my fertility in that respect as im 24 and i have no children but some day hope to. I reccomend seeing your gp as soon as you can. They should be able to sort out an mri scan. This helps them see the cyst more clearly so they can determine the size The pain can be awful and at times. Before i knew what was actually wrong with me id seen 2 drs who couldnt really help me much so had an appointment for a scan which wasnt for weeks later. I was in so much pain one day i went to a and e and thats when things started moving along. Still took about 4 months til i actually got the surgery though x
  • Posted

I had my ovarian cyst removed 6 weeks ago after a year of scans and I was terrified about the surgery. Now I've had it done it was so worth it, I would have pains that would make me feel sick, even though i was sore after the op I'm so glad I had it done. I was worried I would lose my ovary during the op as they said it was a possibility but if a cyst is left there to get too big there is a risk of losing the ovary anyway. Really try not to worry, you're in good hands x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.