Panic about panic!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Oh dear i have written about this before, i am someone who does experience panic attack to a sort of phobia of open spaces but over time i have managed to live with that. I havent been too bad up til now, i started to go through menopause at 51 and then had my ovaries removed due to family history. My symptoms havent been too bad since i had it done last july but this last month i seem to panic alot more in situations that wouldnt normally make me like this. I am now panicking about panicking. I have taken suggestions from people to do with taking natural supplements but i am due to see my doctor in a week and will discuss this with her. Is anyone else going through this? I did read panic attacks are a meno symptom and i remember thinking i hope it doesnt make me worse but i t has!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes I think these panic attacks are another symptom of Menopause

I had one the other day

I just started ranting at my friend about the state of the world and I worked myself up into such a stew

I find a walk in the fresh air helps but realise that's not an option for you

Mrs M x

• Posted

Yes when they happen it is quite scary especially when there is no trigger like the open space, they normally happen when i feel i cant escape from somewhere, for example at the till in a shop, but once away from the situation the panic subsides x
  • Posted

I panic about panic. Now I feel like I'm a nutcase. Since the anxiety has been ramped up, I dont venture far from home. I'm getting better but taking iit slow. Recently I started panicking about having a panic attack when I'm out. I took my little girl to a movie yesterday and was trying hard to hide the anxiety. I just didn't want to have a panic attack while she was with me. It would have been traumatic for her. My oldest has been with me when I have them and she helps to calm me down but my little one would have been scared. This peri can be a nightmare. I've never had issues with anxiety until a few months ago.
    • Posted

Dear Jamie

Thanks for your reply, i know i feel so foolish that i will show myself up

• Posted

Oops didnt finish what i was saying lol, as i was saying i feel so foolish i will show myself up, i have had one with my friend while swimming, i just felt i needed to get out the pool. I hate to think i cant go there anymore as the exercise helps me! I can accept my fear of open spaces but this is awful to happen in what i consider a normal environment for me which wouldnt normally cause panic. I feel for you because i know how awful it is and so scary. I hope it will pass like all the other symptoms! X
    • Posted

As time goes by and I come to the realization that what I'm going through is hormonal I can deal with the anxiety a little better. Even though it's scary while going through it, I deal with it, try to take deep breathes until it settles. Apparently I'm going to go through it wether I want to or not. It's hormonal so I just deal with it.
    • Posted

Yes that's the best way to deal with it, i keep going about my day to day things as much as i can and must look forward positively and realise this is menopause! Thank you for replying it helps to know i am not alone x
    • Posted

Sounds like me, too... panicking about panic...and I can't tell whether or not it's worse when I'm alone or with other people, but I do fear scaring anyone who is around me when it's really bad.
  • Posted

I know that panicky feeling and I am terrified of the attacks. I hate it when people look at me like I'm a crazy woman and I welcome the day that how we feel will be finally understood and seen as a peri/meno issue. I have to avoid caffeine in coffee and tea and that has helped tremendously. Try decaff if you haven't already and lots of sugars. I wish I could wave a magic wand for us all. Good luck pinkcatfairy x. 
    • Posted

Arggh......sorry I meant to say avoid lots of sugars. We need an edit option here, it would help.
    • Posted

Thank you bugglybot, yes i should switch to decaffeinated, i do drink quite abit of coffee, plus not sleeping as well as i did doesnt help i dont think! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.