Panic attack and slaapplaatsen after use prednisone

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everybody!

I have a question.. I have been on prednisone for 10 days 30 MG because of a severe Sinus infection. The first days were not a problem but after the fourth day I started to experience sleepless. After 8 days I was totally unable to sleep and start to get really nervous and anxious. I finish the dosis last thrusday, so almost 1 week ago and I still can't sleep and have severe depression and panic attacks.

I asked my doctor (living in the Netherlands) and he told me that this symptoms were not related to this drug but to my medical history..

I had a burn out and depression last year and I was finally getting better and was 4 months feeling almost 100%.

Now is like all the effort I did to get better was not worth it as I feel as bad as I did last year.

Did somebody experience this after using prednisone and how long it took to feel again better?

Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I think your doctor is wrong in that he shouldn't make a generalisation - sleeplessness is a common side effect at that dose and I know quite a few people who find the effects last a while after stopping. The anxiety and panic attacks are also common side effects of pred - and maybe they have triggered a return. What I am saying is that it may be a combination of your medical history being retriggered by the high dose pred. Who looked after you during your illness last year? Perhaps a chat with them might be helpful.

There are plenty of studies about the long term side effects of pred - but few in short courses as yours was. In the UK I think most doctors would have tapered the dose, even after such a short course.

I do hope it improves very soon.

• Posted

Yes, yes, yes!!!  Almost off it one month now an I feel I am going crazy!!!  Was  given a similar dose for 10 days.  I have many sleepless nights.  So much so, my Int. Medicine Dr. prescribed Ativan and then when it didn't work so  much Ambien.  Took very little of both and made me VERY depressed so I stopped.  This caused rebound insomnia!!  I had a very good day Saturday and then Sunday I had a breakdown from not sleeping at all the night before.  Slept through the night for the first time in a LONG time last night and feel better today although still anxious.  I read about Jane Pauley going on Prednisone which caused her to have Bioplar Disorder.  Is this what I have?!!!!!!!  I'm hopefully going to see a therapist to see what is going on.  I'm really scared!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.