Panic attack from fear of starting new medication

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I have a fear of starting new medications. I've been having panic attacks every day and just got prescribed Effexor low dose. I just took my first pill an hour ago and am having a slight panic attack and feeling weird because I have a fear of medicine and getting the bad reactions/possible side effects. Me feeling weird right now probably isn't from the medicine and is just all in my head. I just hate feeling this way and I hope this medicine helps me rolleyes

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

Hi Tiffany,

I personally feel the effects of anti depressants most within the 1st hour of taking them, then it smoothes out. I think it could possibly be the effexor that you're feeling. Keep at it though.. the first couple of weeks are usually a bit crap.

Im on fluoxetine week 4 and only just starting to feel a bit better. I still get a bit anxious within the first hour of taking a pill.

• Posted

If it becomes troublesome you should ask your doctor for some valium to help you through the first couple of weeks!
    • Posted

I have klonopin to take for as needed so I could always take one 30 mins or so before I take the Effexor maybe.
    • Posted

Yeah it will probably take a little while for me to get used to. I am just hoping it helps me and doesn't make me feel worse. I am usually good with medicines- I was on lexapro for 5 years and it helped me. Everyone's bodies are so different and you never know how it'll react to things so I think I just let that get in my head and over think it.

• Posted

Venlafaxine (effexor) is well known for causing side-effects and a lot of people can't tolerate it.

That probably isn't a sensible thing to say to someone who has a fear of medicine, but the good news is that venlafaxine works extremely well for anxiety - but you have t give it eight to ten weeks to kick-in properly.

So please carry on with it, Tiffany. The long-term benefits outweigh a few side-effects.

Good luck

love Tess xx

• Posted

Last night I woke up wide awake with bad anxiety and nausea. And today I am shakey and jittery this morning, not feeling myself.
  • Posted

I'm the same way about taking new meds!! I hold off on starting for days and then I always start at half the dose my doctor prescribed sad

I too take Effexor 37.5mg each day. At first I had jitteriness and weird feelings but then leveled out rather quickly... We actually tried to increase to 75mg and I didn't seem to tolerate it do I've stayed on the lower dose... Works pretty well for me but I still get anxiety bad at times so doctor gave me hydroxyzine prn for those times ...,

Hang in there!! The startup is the worse 😌

• Posted

Yeah I feel very jittery and not myself. I just started it last night. I woke up at 2:30am wide awake and bad anxiety and nausea. And then woke up again later feeling shakes and jittery.
    • Posted

That's how I was at first and I was taking at night so I switched to morning and it helped but I had to take with food got a while because of the nausea ..... Hard to tell if the anxiety is a side effect from the med or just us at times!

• Posted

My side effects got much better after the first week of starting and I noticed a big difference in my mood at that time too... Early but I just felt like it was going to do some good smile

• Posted

Haha I know what you mean! Anxiety is horrible and can trick us. Maybe I should switch to morning? I don't really like to eat in the am though cause I'm never hungry.

• Posted

Well that's good to hear. I am hesitant to keep taking it. I heard that this medicine is hard to come off from and people have serious withdrawal symptoms when they don't take it at exact times every day? Have you ever had any of these issues?

• Posted

Well I kept powering thru the startup because I didn't want to have to restart a different med lol.... I had some symptoms that I still don't know if related to the Effexor or something else so I do make sure I take it the same time every day because I had heard the same if missed wink i was having a weird feeling in my head like a "swoosh" almost roller coaster effect , really strange!! Some say they had that the whole time on Effexor, others said only when weaning, and others said it was inner ear or hormones!!! I still get it occasionally and still freak out every time but don't think it's the Effexor after two years.... I didn't hear about how hard it was to go off until I had been taking got a while so I'm hoping I stay on lol!!

• Posted

My doctor told me to stop taking the medicine because I shouldn't have had this extreme side effects on such a low dosage. So I have klonopin for in the mean time until we figure out something else. Ugh.

• Posted

I'm only asking because that's how I was when we tried to increase a couple times sad

I just tolerate lower doses than many people , has always been that way. I felt like I was bug eyed and racing out of my head at first ... Horrible feeling... It can raise your blood pressure too. Hope they can figure something out for you soon!! Hang in there wink

• Posted

37.5 mg. thank you! I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. Hope all goes well with you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.