Panic Attack or Anxiety symptoms still lasting days after attack.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

No one seems to be taking me seriously and I didn't know where else to turn to so I decided to go here. I'm 24 years old and have been dealing with anxiety and depression since I was young. It got worse while living at home during highschool and has gotten unbearable up until this point. I was on a short vacation about a week ago (4 days). During my whole trip I suffered from a migrane and it felt as if I couldn't breathe, no matter how hard I tried it felt like someone was suffocating me. It's been about a week now and my migrane seems to be gone but the other day when I got back I was out for dinner with a friend and I felt a strange nauseous wave wash over me and I had to go the bathroom because I thought I was going to be sick. I ended up going home and then going to the pharmacy to pick up my medicine for my migraine because I thought it had passed. When I was standing at the counter I suddenly couldn't breathe at all! I was so scared and started hyperventilating and acted completely hysterical. The pharmacists tried to calm me down and said it was nothing but I insisted there was something wrong with me. They were afraid I had an allergic reaction to something but it felt different so they called a taxi for me to get me to the hospital. While at the hospital the nurses gave me two antihistamines and some sort of drug to calm me down. They explained to me that they couldn't see anything blocking my throat and that all my vitals were fine. They said I had a panic attack or it was anxiety which means it's all in my head?!? I don't understand. Was this a panic attack or anxiety? I felt like a fool for crying in front of these nurses thinking I was going to die. I have never experienced this sort of thing before, (except for anaphylactic shock which feels completely different by the way). Can someone please help me, it's been about two days after I had my episode and I still have difficulty breathing and my throat and mouth feel so dry yet sticky! My throat is starting to hurt and throb, I'm starting to freak myself out! Eating doesn't seem to help and I'm getting scared again. Can this happen and if so how did any of you deal with this? 

Much appreciated, Hanna x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i think once we have a full blown panic attack our bodies and mind go haywire, my opinion. i had this episode you described two days after surgery and its been a long road since. having a panic attack and freaking out about can induce health anxiety and other forms of anxiety. you might settle down a bit but will most likely have free floating symptoms. the good news is i hear a lot of recovery stories. try to deeply relax and challenge whatever your worry is, even if its health anxiety. another positive note is that your perfectly fine since your doctors ruled out anything. you just have anxiety and feel unwell. hope you get well.
  • Posted

Hey Hanna,

I am also 24 years old and I understand how scary this can be. Hyperventilating is both a symptom of both panic and anxiety attacks. Your first attack sounds very, very similar to my first panic attack. It's awful when nurses and doctors dont take you seriously, but if your vitals are fine, and it seems like everything is okay.

Never feel like a fool for crying in front of the nurses, you have no control over it and I'm sure they understand it. Anxiety is VERY common, so some of them might need with similar issues.

As for you current symptoms, I had a similar issue before. I call it "residual anxiety" your body and mind get so used to being anxious and you have a hard time getting out of that rut. It happens to so many of  us. 

If it makes you feel better, see a doctor again and get some bloodwork done to put your mind at ease, but we are both 24 years old and it is unlikely that either of us has something serious that we do not alrady know about.

One good strategy that helps me is this. Put a VERY LITTLE bit of water in your mouth, sit up straight in a chair, and breathe only through your nose. Do this when you feel anxious. It can help those who are hyperventaliting, and could calm you down. 

This forum is fantastic for people with anxiety, so use it as a resource. If you need anything at all, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

You are not alone.

Good luck and all the best! 

• Posted

Hi JP,

Thank you for replying! Keeping busy and trying to take deep breaths seem to be helping. I booked another doctor appointment for next week seeing if they have some sort of advice or something I can use to prevent these horrible panic/ anxiety attacks from happening or at least try to lessen them. The whole globus sensation really freaked me out and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Thank you so much again and I'll definitely send you a PM if I have any further problems or solutions down the road. 

Cheers & good luck to you too, Hanna

• Posted

Glad to hear that you're taking the steps to get better!

Like I said, if you need anything at all, post on here or send me a PM!.

Good luck and all the best! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.