Panic attack or heart attack

Posted , 6 users are following.

In the eary hours of Friday mornig I woke up with awful chest pains.  It felt like someone was standing on my chest and someone else was squeezing.  I could not move as it was so painful - it was the worse pain I have ever had. It only lasted aout 10 minues but seemed like a life time. When I got up on Friday morning I felt dreadful and felt like I was going to pass out.  Since the attack I have had no energy and have felt awful.  Has anyone else ad a panic attack like this?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, it was a panic attack. That's kind off how I felt all the aymtoms of a panic attack but after all my chest felt bruised and very dizzy feeling. If it was a heart attack you would of fainted with pains reoccuring in the same areas. Stay strong my friend.

• Posted

Not typical of a panic attack, I think. How old are you and any risk factors for heart problems . Eg. Family history, smoker, diabetic, blood pressure?
    • Posted

I'm telling myself it was a panic attack as Idon't really want to think of a heart attak.  I am 65, smoker with low blood pessure.  I can't think of aything, apart from smoking, that would cause a heart attack..
  • Posted

Hi panda,

It could have been a panic attack - have you had them before?

However, another possible explanation is that it may have something to do with the way you were sleeping.

The first time I woke up with awful pain and stiffness in my chest and back, it scared the hell out of me and it seemed to take a long time to get back to normal, the pain persisting for hours. It doesn't happen on a regular basis, but each time it has it has followed a cold night or a stressed evening.

I then realised it was down to me, usually, feeling really cold (the radiator does not work in our bedroom so it can be bitter some nights) on getting into bed, which has made me curl up as tightly as possible. Obviously, sometimes I have held this position for so long that my muscles tighten up - the same as happens if I go to bed unable to relax properly. On waking in pretty much the same position I feel dreadful - barely able to roll over and in a lot of pain. I have always likened it to having slept flat on my back with an elephant on my chest!

It doesn't restrict my breathing but I do feel as if I have been crushed, my upper back feeling as bad as my chest. On getting up and moving around, the pains do ease off again and I can be fine for weeks, if not months. I also used to suffer a lot, but with less pain, when we had an old, sprung, mattress. That improved greatly when we bought a new mattress.

There certainly could be a range of explanations for your symptoms, not all medical. If you are concerned about your health, though, please go and see your doctor who can rule out anything serious. Stressing about health issues can make the symptoms worse.

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies.  They have made me feel a lot better aout the incident.
  • Posted

If it happens again and lasts more than 10 or 15 minutes call an ambulance. Being 65 and a smoker a good enough risk factors!
  • Posted

Hi Panda, I'm afraid I agree with the others - my mother had a heart attack at the age of 60 (she is a healthy 80 now) after a decade or so of angina and high blood pressure problems, but she has never smoked in her life. There is a history of heart problems on her side of the family though.

I know my similar pains are caused by sleeping posture or lumpy mattresses, however, only you know how your crushing pains felt. Given the extra information you have supplied us with, I would urge you to see your doctor as soon as possible, if only to put your mind at rest. I know there are simple tests that can show up if you have ever had a heart attack. I believe one of these is a blood test.

Try and keep calm, but don't ignore the possibility it could have been a warning of something serious.

• Posted

i agree with some of the answers on here.....it might be wise to got to your doctor tomorrow and get it checked out.... like others said...an ecg can be done at the docs and a blood test. if you are at all worried tonight you can go to your a an e dept and they get the blood results in about an hour....they check for many other things in the blood test too. i gave up smoking 7 months ago...best thing i ever did...im on ecigs a few times a day but so worth it. i am at high risk.....im 56 ...smoker most of my life  highish blood pressure and a little overweight...but im trying to change all that.  good luck .
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone for their replies.  I will go to the doctor but can't get in until after Christmas.  If it happens again before then I will go to A&E.  Once again many thanks
  • Posted

Panda22 - its a panic attack, if this was heart realted you would more than likey have other issues now. I get these daily, get yourself checked out to be 100% but on a daily basis i have bad GERD mainly in the top of my stomach which is near the heart/chest area. causing me to then have anexity and panic attacks thinking im going to die all the time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.