Panic attacks!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have written about panic attacks before but I have had one at home (a first) it is normally triggered outside the home. This was really out of the blue being at home but one minute my head went funny and the next I was hyperventilating, quite scary out the blue like that! Has anyone successfully got over them in menopause? I did have some alcohol over the weekend and a few cups of tea and coffee this morning, has anyone gave up caffeine and it solve their panic? Oh and alcohol too? It really came out of the blue as it is normally outside the home i would have them, i normally feel ok at home! X

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pink I get them outside my home or around people sometimes. I remember i had appointment and something came over me and my heart pound and pound it was hard to sit still awfullllllll, hope this what you are talking about, but I have heard they do stop after menopause.
    • Posted

Dear maria

Yes i get the pounding heart but it is the breathing (hyperventilating) which is scary, i am now in menopause after ovary removal, so hope it doesnt go on forever x

• Posted

I get the panic at home and outside. Mines come out of the blue as well. Hyperventilating is scary. It's like I just can't get a breath. I heard that it does get better after menopause. For some it goes away completely and for other is doesn't go away completely but it eases a lot. So hopefully it will go away completely for you.
    • Posted

Oh thanks for replying, pretty scary when it happened at home like that xx
  • Posted

Stay away from caffeine and sugar this only help aggravate anxiety and panic attacks. I'm also finding out different foods do too😔
    • Posted

Yes i have to be strong and cut it out, i drink about three cups of coffee a day plus one or two cups of tea, the coffee is quite strong too x
  • Posted

Hi...I gave up caffeine and cut back on sugary things....i found they would trigger anxiety. Also if I am overtired and havent eaten. I think you still get them because of the hormones but it helps a little.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, i am going to eliminate caffeine x
  • Posted

Just like every one else said - caffeine and alcohol.  I haven't given them up completely and I still get the panic attacks, but not as bad.  Half a Xanax and my heart rate goes down, but I try not to use them that often.  Also with the breathing, look for a speech pathologist and a good ENT and ask them to check for VCD (vocal cord dysfunction) which is another issue during this peri-menopausal time period.  My attacks come on completely out of the blue as well at home too.

• Posted

Oh OK vcd thanks for that, this menopause so complex x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.