panic attacks

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hiya everyone anyone suffered panic attacks with graves disease? I had a bad one last night was laying in bed next min sat up like my throat was closing over and I was gasping for breath and when I tried to talk after it my speech was all slurred. Ive spoke to the doctor today he didnt seem over concerned, the attack scared me though was not nice at all.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jennifer, yes I have. My tongue would also swell up and I just couldn't swallow.   Practice breathing properly.  Draw air in with an open mouth and fill your stomach with air to make it fat basically!  Hold for 5 counts then release the air slowly.  This will fill you with oxygen and regulate your breathing - it will also take your mind off your panic attack.  You can't die from a panic attack so don't worry.
  • Posted

I have panic attacks to begin with, and my primary doctor put me on an anti-depressant for one to help even out the mood swings between the Grave's disease and my birth control, but also to help control my panic attacks, because my panic attacks were getting really bad to where i couldn't get out of them like i used to. I missed one or two doses of the anti-depressant and i had a really bad panic attack. I couldn't get out of it. I scared my step dad really bad, because he has never seen or heard me have one before. My mom knows what to do if i have one, but i think i even scared her a bit. I have had panic attacks since i was younger. I am now 23 and still have them, and the added feeling of anxiety with the Grave's disease does not help.  Hope this helps and gives you an idea of something to ask your doctor about the next time you see them.
    • Posted

Thank you for your reply I am still having dizziness and my words come out a little mixed up now and again if this continues in the next few days im going to go the doctors I have felt my heart beating fast again like it used to before been put on carbimazole this is all happening since been put on 15mg instead of 30 mg. All this may be caused by anxiety aswell im thinking.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.