Panic Attacks

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been suffering with Anxiety for quite a few years now and really dont like discussing it with many people.  I have over the past year become friendly with a work colleage and would like to confide in them about it, but dont know how they will deal with it and am scared they will either think I am being too friendly with them or they wont know how to deal with it and it will upset the friendship we already have.  Do you think I should confide or leave it?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carol, I have found when I have trusted someone enough to talk about my anxiety they either understand because they've been affected themselves or they have no idea about it but are sympathetic.

I've been surprised several times by the people who have shared with me that they suffer from anxiety, panic attacks or depression.

We can feel so alone in our struggle, but we really aren't!

• Posted

Thanks Tracey, Its just that I'm not a confident person and I know this work colleague has other things on their plate and dont really want to mither them with it, but feel as though I need to tell somebody.  I suppose at the end of the day if they cant handle it then thats the end of the friendship.
    • Posted

I do not think it will be the end of the friendship, I think if it's something they don't understand they may not know what to say, but, if that were to end a friendship then it wasn't a really good friendship.

I am in a good place right now, but, I can be very insecure, very self conscious and do know how it feels to fear rejection.

You have my best wishes!!

• Posted

Thanks Tracey, so its your advice to tell them ?
    • Posted

I would. I do. My mother is the only one who has a negative reaction to my openness about it. I have friends that don't really understand it but they accept it.

After the initial discomfort of working yourself up to share it it feels good to say it out loud and just lay it out. We shouldn't be ashamed, we didn't choose to have anxiety. But, we do and we don't have to keep it secret!

• Posted

Hi Tracey,  Thanks very much for your advice.  I will tell them.  Most of my anxiety is caused by problems at work so I am hoping my work colleague will enable them to understand.
  • Posted

Its fairly common and the stigma is more self induced then anything else. Nothing wrong with sharing this with your friend.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.