Panic Attacks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a massive panic attack when driving on the motorway on the way to work due to pain from a shoulder issue.  My shoulder has now almost been resolved, but I have a panic attack every time I drive to and from work and the motorway route is really the only route I can take.  When it originally happened I managed to pull over onto chevrons at an on ramp and the police, ambulance and motorway maintenance ended up in attendance and I was taken to A & E.  Obviously I need to drive to get to work, but how can I control or avoid the panic attack.  I am desperate to resolve this as I cant be having 2 panic attacks a day and I need my job.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I highly suggest seeing a therapist! Sounds like you have a bit of Agoraphobia going on (a type of anxiety disorder in which you fear and avoid places or situations that might cause you to panic).

I went through this with any type of crowded place like the gym or food store. I started seeing a therapist that specialized in anxiety and it really helped. They helped me to rationalize my fears and also understand why I was having them in the first place.

You can look on Psychology Today website, it makes it super easy to find a therapist in your area and you can also narrow it down by insurance and specialties. Talk with them, I bet you will feel a lot better.

• Posted

thank you for posting.  I have had a look at the website and contacted a few of them.  This has been so debilitating for me and tackling it myself isn't working.  I thought if I accepted it and drove the same route and didn't avoid it then I would conquer it!!

• Posted

Well from what I've learned that is exactly what you should do, keep driving on it and don't avoid it! But obv that alone isn't enough for you to get over the fear at the moment, and that's okay. Continuing to drive there and then hopefully meeting with a therapist and discussing this with them should help you overcome this problem!

I know it sucks and it's frustrating but just keep in mind that you will overcome it, and you already are working toward that by not giving in to the fear so you should be proud of yourself for that.

• Posted

I tried a different route this morning and did relaxation breathing while driving but the result was the same.  I broke down in tears when I got into the office and was shaking and sweating.  I understand why I feel like this but cant seem to stop it.
    • Posted

It will get better! What is the fear that you have about driving on this road? Did something happen there or is it that it's very crowded or something along those lines?

• Posted

Its the route I take to work (motorway) and just over a month a go I was driving and had a lot of pain in my shoulder (existing issue) and had a panic attack, couldn't feel my hands and legs and feet and lost my vision.  I managed to pull over at an on-ramp and the panic attack was out of control.  Ended up with the police, motorway maintenance and an ambulance were called and I was taken to A&E.  I know I wont have that pain again so the panic attacks don't make sense.  I have tried different routes but still end up with panic attacks. I am fine driving when I am not going to or from work.  I called my docs and have an appointment on Friday.

• Posted

Ah okay so the fear now then is probably just of having another panic attack on this parkway, bc of it being such a problematic area to have one, and now this area also reminds you of all the stress you felt. This is very common.

I had a panic attack at the hair salon once when I was sitting in the chair and having my hair colored. The next 2 or 3 times I went I was so nervous about going, felt panicky the whole time. One time I ended up taking a xanax. But I have to go for my hair every 3 months, so now that I've continued to go and haven't avoided it, I am getting used to it and it isn't as scary. I have probably gone about 6 times now since that panic attack, and I am finally getting more comfortable about going. I spoke with my therapist about this also and she helped me rationalize the fear, which in return helped me not be as afraid of going also.

• Posted

I disagree with most of the comments and suggestions... The only way to get over this is by facing it. I am not telling you what to do, but if it were me, I would go there every single day, multiple times a day. I would face the fear and let it flow through me. I would accept whatever is happening to me and I promise you that feeling will pass. You don't need therapy for something like this because they will only dig up more stuff from your past and will make you feel worse. 

• Posted

I agree with your facing the fear part, that is is mandatory in overcoming it. But as someone who has personally experienced this issue ^^ and saw a therapist for it, I can say a therapist helped me overcome the fear a LOT. She didn't dig up my past, all she did was rationalize my fear.

For example, as I stated above, I had a panic attack at the hair salon getting my hair colored and from then on was really afraid of going back. But my therapist said to me, so what are u afraid of? I said having another attack and not being able to leave bc she is in the middle of coloring my hair. And she said, "but she could just wash it if she had to, couldn't she? And You could come back another time and finish right?" And I said hm I guess yeah.... But what would I say, I'm having a panic attack I need to leave? And she said "no, you don't have to say that. Say you are nacreous, or a fam emergency. She doesn't need to know why you need to leave." And then I said hm I guess you're right... I could just be like hey i feel sick can we wash the dye out so I can run to the bathroom, etc. And shed prob be like oh of course, bc I know her and she's not mean a person she'd understand.

And right there I already started to feel better as I rationalized and picked apart the worst case scenario. Therapists don't always just use your past in sessions, mine actually rarely discusses my past. It's more coping techniques and cognitive behavioral stuff.

• Posted

The thing is that I am not avoiding it, I am driving every day into work, but its not getting any better.  I thought confronting it and getting on with it would help me face it and overcome it, but its not.  I cant continue the way I am going but I still need to drive into work and using a different route doesn't help, I still have a panic attack.

• Posted

Exactly, sometimes just confronting it isn't enough. That's why I highly recommend talking to a therapist about it and they will help you approach this better using cognitive behavioral therapy techniques. 

• Posted

My drive in today was horrendous. It took 30mins to stop shaking after i arrived at my office. I honestly can't face the drive in tomorrow, it's so debilitating and physically tiring. My parents think I should try hypnotherapy. I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.