Panic attacks

Posted , 8 users are following.

so started back on 6 mil of pred  five days ago after being completely tapered to 0 for 2/12 months.

was in agony but tried to cope and gave in but. Went to 5 mil today and planning to stay here because I'm pain free then taper in a few weeks to 4.

my concern is before I restarted the pred I developed vertigo so was put on a very common med to take as needed but haven't taken for over the week that I restarted the pred.

im having severe panic attacks, feeling very depressed which I never ever had when on the pred for three years.

is it possible that after the three months off of it it is now causing this, I was fine on higher doses but now just after six days I'm feeling very out of sorts and at such a low dose I'm very surprised.

i was crying all day, felt lost and even a bit shaky. I'm sure the vertigo is also contributing to some of it but not sure.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can't address your immediate problem, but I am concerned about your statement that you will wait a few weeks and then taper to 4 mg.  I hope you plan to taper in steps?  Last thing you wan/need is another flare.  I do remember feeling oddly panicky when my dose was at 7 mg, but it doesn't sound like that's what's causing your feelings.  

• Posted

HI Anhaga, thanks for your reply.li am going to start 4 my l tomorrow an stay there for a while.....a few weeks, I already did the dead slow taper dropping 1 mil every 4-5 weeks until I was off. I'm hoping I can get comfortable at 3 mil down the road. I won't go to fast but seeing that I've only just started again five days ago I should be ok.

• Posted

It would be surprising if it were the pred when you are at a low dose and didn't have problems before at higher doses. But never say never...

Is there any chance you are upset about the fact you haven't finished with pred? That could be causing the depressive mood - PMR itself, like a lot of other autoimmune disorders, is associated with low/depressive mood. 

But do go back to your doctor and discuss it with them.

• Posted

Eileen I think you are so right, I was so relieved when I was finally done with it and had those three months of no waking to take it and having to start again has mentally hit me.

the mind is a funny thing so I just need to focus on the fact I'm not in agony, am on a low dose that I can hang out at for a while and then start the taper again.

there is a light at the end of this tunnel!

thank you again

• Posted

I've just received in my email a health newsletter from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.  There\'s an item about how combinations of drugs can cause depressive mood, and doctors aren't paying enough attention to this effect.  Can't give link, but here is copy and paste of some of the article:

A new study out of the U.S. serves as a "very important reminder" that depression is a possible side effect of many common medications, especially when patients are taking more than one of them, the Canadian Pharmacists Association says.

“I think it's something that we don't always think about," said Phil Emberley, the association’s director of practice advancement and research, and a pharmacist in Ottawa. 

A team of researchers from the University of Illinois at Chicago and Columbia University in New York — including a pharmacist and and psychiatrist — looked at data gathered from more than 26,000 adults in a national health survey conducted from 2005-2006 and from 2013-2014. The researchers catalogued what medications their subjects were taking at the time, as well as how many depressive symptoms they displayed (based on a self-reporting tool commonly used for diagnosing depression). 

They found about one-third of the people in the study were taking at least one medication for which depression is listed as a potential side effect. Those drugs include some types of blood pressure medications, beta blockers, birth control pills, proton pump inhibitors, anticonvulsants, painkillers and corticosteroids.

If I can find a link to this item I'll private message it.  

When taken alone, depression may be a “rare” side effect for some of these medications, said lead author Dima Qato, an assistant professor at University of Illinois at Chicago College of Pharmacy. What’s concerning, she said, is the fact that many people take two or more of them — because her findings suggest that the risk of depression increases with multiple medications.

"People are taking a lot of drugs and a lot of these meds have depression as an adverse effect," Qato said. "One to two per cent risk of depression, perhaps, for most of these medications, but when they're taken together in a real-world setting, it really matters."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.