Panic attacks and anxiety after perceived health scare

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I started having panics attacks back in February after what I thought was a heart attack. I know exactly what triggered the panic attack, it was a twitch I would get whenever I smoked too much. I picked up the nasty habit of smoking a few years ago as a way to get a break from work. For the past year now, I've been smoking more than ever, usually about half a pack to a pack a day.I've had the twitch before the panic attacks started, so it wasn't new to me. I've expereienced them before, and I would usually cut back on smoking to having a few a day and I would be back to normal. I believe that the first panic attack was triggered because I'm pretty sure the thought of a heart attack popped into my head, and I just lost control. I couldn't breathe, I doubled over and I was about to pass out. I ended up taking in a deep breath, let it out and tried to calm myself. I got to my hotel room and was trying to relax, but I just couldn't. I didn't know I was having a panic attack, I thought for sure I was having a heart attack. I ended up calling a friend who works in the medical field and he told me to go to the emergency room as a precaution. I went, and they did an EKG test and chest x-rays to make sure I didn't have anything physically wrong with me. They told me I was having a panic attack after I explained what happened. They monitored my heart and blood pressure for the following few hours, and I was released with a prescription of Xanax. Whew, I didn't realize how long this story is! Anyway, to cut this a bit shorter, I'm now on Buspar and I'm still struggling to believe that there is nothing physically wrong with me. I've had blood work, x-rays, and EKG's done and everything seems to be fine. I've never ever dealt with anxiety or panic before, so this is all new to me. I'm hyper aware of any changes with my body, even if they're completely normal everyday changes and they tend to make me freak out a bit. Usually I'll think I'm breathing weird, and it'll throw me into a spiral. It's very hard to control and come back down to earth after that, and I usually struggle with it for the rest of the day. The Buspar helps me not to have a full blown panic attack, but I do believe that the side effects are also causing some of the things I feel that make me panic a bit. I get the brain zaps, dizziness and feel drowsy. They don't usually last long, maybe half an hour to an hour, but throughout the day I do get that one or two zaps that will also send me back into a panic attack. So I guess what I'm trying to get at here is how do you guys deal with this? I've read a few discussions and there are actually quite a few people who had almost this exact same thing happen to them. I'm just seeing how people work out their anxiety and panic, maybe in some way I can meld together some things and create my own method.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hey Chris,

I know your fear well. I am a hypocondriac and I suffer from panic attacks too. I've had the sensation of something being wrong with my heart, my chest, my spleen, my stomach, my brain--- Anything you can imagine. 

In fact, right now I'm going through nosebleeds that have been coming since Saturday on-and-off and won't stop. I've been to A&E twice, GP twice, and everyone just seems puzzled. So right now I have to manage my anxiety like crazy and it is taking a horrible toll on me. It's impossible. Every moment feels like life or death.

I would advise you to seek out some therapy maybe, CBT that can help you plan behavoir methords that'll help you control the intensity of these panic attacks you get. Cause I get it, once you 'fall in' you can't climb back out of the hole. I've had it a lot during nosebleeds and as you can imagine it doesn't make them nor any condition better. 

X-Rays, ECGs, MRIs, blood tests--they don't lie. Especially if you've had multiple different ones. I know it's hard to accept but the facts are there to help you.

Also goes without saying but I'd cut down on the smoking too if possible. Find a plan to help with that too. 

• Posted

Hi Pandacake, thanks for your reply. When I was a kid, I used to get nosebleeds whenever it was dry outside. Do you think this could be a cause of your nosebleeds? 

You're right, I need to cut down and quit the smoking. I've been wanting to quit, but it has been hard. Its funny because I actually hate the smell and taste, yet I continue to smoke. I think I'm addicted to the habit and not the actual cigarettes themselves. Anyway, I also agree that the test do not lie and I've never had any physical problems so I know I'm fine. I believe that the first panic attack, the one where I thought I was dying set off a bunch of alarms in my head that just haven't turned off yet. So now, anytime some little thing happens to my body is setting off those alarms all over again. I feel like I'll be fine for a couple of days, thinking I'm finally getting over it and then something will happen that puts me right back to square one. It's very frustrating.

• Posted

This is health anxiety & lots of people on here suffer from this horrible condition. My best advice is to NOT google symptoms. That is the worst thing you can do. You'll convince yourself you have all kinds of horrible illnesses. Easier said than done though, when the compulsion to Google comes over you. Other things which may be helpful: therapy/CBT, meditation, healthy diet and lifestyle (including quitting smoking). Some people also find medication helps, but I prefer alternative options. It's about finding what works best for you. All the best xx

• Posted

Thanks Cara, I prefer not to be on meds but for now I think I'll live with it. I don't want it to be something I have to rely on, I would much rather be able to calm myself. It's true though, Googling every little thing didn't help at all. Also, I didn't realize just how much death is on Facebook until all this started. I've blocked a lot of things and people just so I don't have to see it anymore. I've stopped Googling things, if anything I Google how to calm myself or what I can do to make things in my life better. Actually, I had an episode where my Doc put me on Prozac. I didn't like it and it was causing more anxiety. I'd lie in bed, trying to sleep but I couldn't because I was shaking and sweating profusely. So I stopped taking it, and I was totally fine for a few days. I thought I was finally good, but then I woke up one night when I thought I got a facebook message (I was travelling for work and figured it was my wife) but it was nothing. I ended up scrolling a bit and ended up seeing a story of a guy dying in his sleep because of some weird heart condition. I put my phone down and said "well that's enough of that", next thing I know BAM I'm having a panic attack worse than the one I initially had. So yeah, I agree that staying away from stuff like that is probably for the best. I'm really interested in the CBT, although my Doc hasn't suggested it yet. I'll ask about it next time I see her. I've been so busy at work that exercise and healthy diet just don't seem to be an option right now. Its not really a good excuse I suppose, now that I think about it.

• Posted

It's hard to live a healthy lifestyle when your stressed/anxious isn't it, but I do think it can make a massive difference. I just recently gave up smoking (convinced I was going to get every smoking related illness under the sun) & also begrudgingly gave up caffeine too because is terrible for anxiety. I miss my coffee and cigarettes, but I know it's for the best. I plan to tackle my diet next because I do have phases of over eating when I get depressed/stressed and it's always the bad stuff too, never binge on broccoli that's for sure. I'm also a sucker for convenience options too, but processed rubbish is terrible for anxiety. Just make little changes at a time and they'll add up. Maybe add ten minutes exerise per day to begin with and build up from there, or something like that.

• Posted

I think the hardest part will be changing my daily routine, which includes both coffee and a cigarette. Like I said, I think it's the habit I'm addicted to and not necessarily cigarettes themselves. I eat like I'm still skinny, so that probably doesn't help. The good thing is I don't binge, actually since this started happening to me I've started eating less. Not unhealthy less, but smaller portions and not too much snacking. I think I might carry around some carrot sticks and celery for when I feel the need to snack. Thanks for the advice Cara, I really appreciate it.

• Posted

Best of luck. You can beat this. We all can. Perhaps it's just our body's way of telling us it's time to make some changes.

• Posted

Hi Chris,

It is very difficult to say what will help. 21 years of this and I still havent found a cure. I can tell you for me the more relaxed I am the more they tend to hit. Drags me out of sleep, taking a warm bath will throw me into one. Shopping is another trigger, I think it is the floresent lighting. I had to cancel 1 cruise and another time I had to get off the ship the next day and fly home. Been to more ER`s then I care to admit. Always for nothing. When you arrive BP is off the chart the doctors can see you are a physical mess but they go away and then they send you home. Then your primary doc will try different meds to see what one helps the best with the least amount of side effects. You will get to the point of acceptance. Its sorta like the 5 stages of grief really. 

denial - There is no way something is not really wrong with me, doctors must be wrong. This can not just be in my friggen head.

anger-Why? What is causing this? why cant I be normal? You are angry at fate, yourself and everyone around you because they do not get it,telling you to relax, calm down, dont take life so seriously... Your friends/family that stick around think your crazy. Your life no longer in your control on any given day.. at any given time you feel the veil fall over our head, thats how it feels to me, everything gets a tad dark, the heart picks up speed, Chest pains, numbness, certain heart attack or stroke is happening and you are settled in a cloak of fear, eventually... after every medical test somewhere inside your brain you know, take the pill.. this will pass and it does.( But damn it all someday it will be a real heart attack or stoke and because I no longer run to the ER im going to die..  yeah, fun stuff)

bargaining, Oh yessss, I begged to trade off these attacks for all kinds of other aliments.. shame to say but its true.

depression- Oh you betcha! How the hell can you not be depressed when you are living in dread? Even when you feel good you are waiting for the other shoe to drop. You cant even escape this in your sleep.

21 years and i am stil here, beaten bruised, tired,, there is not a strong enough word for how tiring this crap is. BUT I am still here, I tell myself... You get up, you try to make it through the day. You are not weak, you are stronger then most.

If you find a med that takes away the severity, they are gold. I found one that works when I have a panic attack. Just do not abuse them, be mindful of that. I would love to take them twice a day and be done panic but I dont cause I do not need to add addict to my problems.  I am not so lucky for finding one that deals with the depression. After awhile you accept this is how it is going to be.

sometimes there are breaks a week, a month. Everyone finds their own way of

dealing with it. 

Its sad.. for me it was like the girl I knew died already. Replaced with fear and loneliness. I am sad alot. I am a shell of who I was but I get up,, I deal with the attacks as they happen, I try to plan trips try not to let it run my life.. sometimes I win, sometimes I loss but I will keep fighting so I can win some more.

Just... Be strong is I guess the best advice I can give you.

• Posted

Chris

You are smoking ten or at the most twenty cigarettes a day ? If this is the case you will be getting a kick from the Nicotine. If this is the case and you ae getting smoke in your eyes t, it hat will cause an irritation.

I smoked sixty a day until I eventually stopped smoking, t be honest if possible stop, personally I would not be given smoking money by my wife it is a waste at £7.00 a pack.

You have had all the tests, all you are doing is filing your lungs with gunge and infecting the eyes with all the smoke that passes in front of your eyes and makes your hair smell.

When younger I would save the money that I would have spent on cigarettes and use it to subsidise a Summer Holiday.

BOB

• Posted

True, I believe a lot of my anxiety comes simply from smoking. It's such a hard habit to kick, and it really is an expensive habit. I've cut down, and eventually I'm going to quit. We have a smoking cessation program at work so I'm going to take advantage of that. Thank you for your reply, it really does cement my decision to quit.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.