Panic attacks and depression after giving birth

Posted , 4 users are following.

i was on cipralex 5 mg when i got pregnant ! i continued taking it until i gave birth ! After giving birth i started having panic attacks and depression .. its like i dont want to have the baby .. i cant accept her .. fast heat beats .. Sweating ..Bad thoughts ..My doctor then added the dose to 15 mg and i became okay . Ave been three days not okay ! Fast panic attacks .. my baby is 50 days old .. i am unable to take care of her . I feel like i am not going to be a good mum or i am not going to be like first . I am having very bad thoughts ! Always weak !Today i went to my doctor and he added the dose to 22.5 mg !! Will i be okay ? or is it normal ? please help me

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, do you have a support network to help you through this? I don't have children so I'm not in the best position to advise but don't you have a health visitor who can help put your mind at rest. Thinking that you can't get through this and won't be a good mum is all related to your anxiety and depression and is simply not true. The medication might be making you struggle too depending on how long you've been taking it. We can offer you support and reassurance on here but ultimately you would benefit from speaking to someone in the medical profession. They will have lots of experience of new mums doubting themselves. Know that you can do this and that you can get through this period of self doubt and out the other side. I dare say tiredness is making the situation worse. xx

• Posted

You say you can't look after your baby, you mean this literally or do you just mean you're struggling? If you are totally despairing, you need to tell someone and get help immediately. I'd you are struggling, you also need to tell a health professional and get support. Panic attacks are horrible but there are strategies for helping them to subside. If you look for advice from the NHS they provide simple grounding activities which can help.

• Posted

oh that's sounds so tough for you. you are not a bad mom it's just that your hormones are all messed up now. just stay on 20mg citalopram for as long as possible as this is the best therapeutic dose. it will get better but you do need to speak with someone o get you this extra support. you will realise that that there are a lot of mums who struggle with this when the baby is still so small. this is a very tough time dont be surprised that this is happening to you. post partum depression is very very common and with the right help you will get through it. the medication does work but takes time together into your system and regulate the levels of neurotransmitters. just give it time and in mean while get some psychological support dont be scared to Express what you are feeling to other people and other moms you will be surprised how much help you will receive. dont be scared to speak up the fact that you are writing here and seeking support here shows that you are a very good mom.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.