Panic attacks & anticipatory attacks

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered with panic attacks on and off for years since I was a teenager.  It is mainly about going on nights out,  meals out and on public transport.  I feel so sick and nervous about the event that by the time I get there I can't eat or drink anyway which then makes the situation even worse.  The week leading up to this it getting terrible too,  waking up feeling sick, diarrhoea , feeling exhausted.  I've been prescribed sertraline today by the doctor and been given a leaflet on social anxiety.  I don't think I do have social anxiety I think it is panic disorder as I am not generally a shy or nervous person and I do love going out and meeting new people when I am not stuck in this rut of anxiety.  Does anyone suffer with anything similar?  What did you do to overcome ?  Thanks

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, 

I can't really help much, just wanted to say that I'm the same! I love seeing my friends and would love to go out more, I'm just so anxious about it! CBT is pretty good for things like this though. Have you tried that? 

• Posted

Oh it's a nightmare isn't it!  Yes I had that about 5 years back and found it quite good. I wonder if I should maybe have a few more sessions.  I can go for years without an attack then all of a sudden it's back!!! X
    • Posted

That's the same with me. Did it a few years ago and it was great, but I'm on a waiting list to start it again this time. I'm going to try hypnotherapy for the first time next Monday though, so hopefully that'll be good! 
    • Posted

I think I've had that,  she took me back on a timeline to where it all started which kind of makes sense.  Good luck I hope you feel a bit better from it.  Wouldn't it be nice to not have to worry about such trivial things eh!! Nice to know we are not alone though x
  • Posted

I think you are absolutely right, Ele. My son has social anxiety and he does NOT like to be with others, to go out or meet new people. I think you are right that you are suffering from anxiety

I just read a scholarly article on the effect of diet on mental health. It stated that studies have shown that those who do not eat well have a greater tendency towards developing mental illness. Now, could that be because people with mental illnesses often cannot work and cannot afford nutritious food?...or do not have the will or know how to prepare vegetables?  Who knows...

But other studies I am reading about DO reveal that magnesium (a mineral like calcium) does reduce anxiety in mice. One could day, "But I'm not a rodent!" He he he...but researchers use mice for a reason. They are mammals like we are and they do react in similar ways to treatment, drugs etc..as we do. And because their lives are relatively short, they can see the results sooner. It has also been reported that people with depression and anxiety DO experience an improvement in their condition when taking magnesium. Read about it on line from reputable sites and even on YouTube (Dr. Sirkus, a world expert) and decide for yourself.

In any case, eat your veggies and fruit! The NHS states that you should eat at least 5 servings per day so why not make them nutritious choices such as dark and colourful ones; beets, broccoli, red cabbage, red and yellow peppers, carrots, dark green lettuce (throw out the iceberg; it's only crunch!)sweet potato etc.. Your dinner plate should NOT be beige. It should sparkle with jewel toned veggies!

Bon appetit!

Robin

Robin

• Posted

Wait a minute. I need to backtrack. I reread the beginning of your post and you say that you dread 'nights out, meals out, public transport'. This IS social anxiety. But then you say that you love going out and meeting new people. Hmmm! This doesn't quite make sense to me... In any case, you are suffering anxiety. WHat I said in my previous post still stands. Hope it helps!
  • Posted

Thanks robin I will take a look at that.  I am a vegatarien though so definitely not lacking the 5 a day.  I have found cutting out caffeine helps a lot.  Yes I know it may sound confusing,  my fear is having a panic attack in these situations as it has happened before.  I do not dislike going out,  I do not dislike been round new people,  I am actually very outgoing in that respect.  But when the anxiety flares up out of nowhere it then does make me dread going out incase I have an attack.  I never avoid social situations,  I just go and get on with it anyway.  People with social anxiety would purposefully avoid situations. I do think social anxiety and pAnic disorder are often confused but are two very different things x
    • Posted

Same as me. I love going out/seeing my friends but I'm terrified of being unwell or having a panic attack while out with them 
    • Posted

I had one panic attack once as a young person and it was terrifying especially since I didn't know what it was. I was suffering from situational social anxiety speaking in front of others, at that time. But maybe with good nutrition (?), activity...don't know...it resolved itself... 

I am not accustomed to drinking tea but I had a cup one day and felt a sense of dread for the hours following. It was not a pleasant feeling as I drove around running errands. I decided not to drink caffeinated tea again. now I drink decaf green tea. 

Have you tried magnesium glycinate for your anxiety. Read about it on line. You will be amazed at the results of studies showing how it really helps with anxiety and depression.

Good luck!

Robin

• Posted

Thanks Robin I will look in to that, it's worth a try! X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.