Panic attacks before bed help!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anyone deal with panic attacks before bed? I've always had trouble sleeping but, in the last three months all day long I have panic in my body about going to bed. Then when it is bedtime, it explodes! I try to tell myself everything's going to be OK, I've tried breathing techniques. Nothing seems to be really helping. I've even recently tried meditating on YouTube to help. But, the feeling of panic is still in my chest & always looming. It's affecting my work my relationships and my marriage. I don't want to let it win. I'm so sick of dreading bed every night. Last night was up until 630 in the morning. Only fell asleep after sleep medicine and Xanax. Any advice to cope or help would be very appreciated thank you!!!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I suffer with day long anxiety and panic. I normally can fall asleep quickly but was waking up in a complete panic attack. It made for rough mornings which in turn made for rough and long days. I am sleeping through the night now and have my best night sleep if I work out during the evening. Even with better sleep I still carry anxiety all day. I wish there was some great miracle to overcome however I am finding that things only get better with time. Know you are not alone.
  • Posted

Try and relax about thirty mins before bed, if you are on AD medications try taking them as you are relaxing. This will allow your medications to act like sleeping pills

Explain to your GP what you want to do

If you have not seen the GP regarding this make an appointment and explain your Anxiety

• Posted

Hi. Yes! I get that and I would dread the night time. Honestly I started reading and praying. And I would fall asleep. I literally sleep sitting up with the lights on at times. I can't take medication I have a phobia with meds. So I just read, I read the Bible or any book or I do the rosary and I fall asleep and if I wake up I just start reading again. Hopefully this helps !

• Posted

Hi I went through months of the same thing happening to me, I did not not take any meds and tried to fight through it. I tried all techniques and still the same thing. My family became drained because of my anxiety, my mom cried because she experienced me for the first time having a panick attack. Each and every day I pray to God to get better.  My body eventually got tired  of sleepness nights and decided to give up. Now when I lay down I pass out quickly, there are times when I jump out my sleep but then I I try going right back to sleep. I still have anxiety especially when I get on the road but I find friends and family who knows what I am going through and they will stay on the phone to take my mind off things, and trust me there is always one person who is willing to listen to you. I can honestly say it was not easy to get to the point I am right now but I did.  What helped me a lot and still do is  Joel Osteen, I listen him while I drive and also catch his service on Sundays, I take his different messages and plant them in my head and say to myself each time it could have been worse. Aniexty does not just affect us but also the people around us, and I am sure it's not easy for you family as well. Take it one day at a time because you will get to the place where you need to be if you believe you can beat this thing.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.