Panic attacks / Deep breaths

Posted , 3 users are following.

For the past 5 years I have been having panic attacks.  It all starts from not being able to take a deep breath.  And directly after not being able to take that deep breath the panic attacks are on.  They are so severe that the have landed me in the hospital on more than one occasion.  Once because I had too much carbon monoxide in my blood.  I have honestly thought I was alone, and seeing the post I can see I am not. My attacks always happen at night or in the early morning hours.  I take lorazapan the minute I know I am in for it.  Now today I feel terrible I can breath but lack of sleep and and the fear that goes with these attacks are debilitating.  I don't know what to do anymore they seem to get worse.  And something besides the deep breaths or lack of has to be bringing this on.  I am just lost.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Do you only take your meds when you feel an attack approaching? Do you know "right" breathing excercises?

• Posted

Yes I have lorazapan .5's  I was in the hospital once and a nurse told me to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth like I were blowing out candles.  I do try to do that and it will work.  Of course it depends on where I am in my panic attack.  I get to shaking so badly I cannot even get up and walk.  My whole body is shaking.  Anyway I am assuming that is the correct way.  Once I was so bad I do a brown lunch sack and was breathing into that....

• Posted

Weird stuff happens with anxiety! I Started getting some weird sonogram like buzzing in my ear a few months back. Waiting for it to go and weird as it came but its a tad maddening. Came with a sinus thing..twice and the weather where i live is a steamy hot bix which im sure is not helping all this anymore. I dont know i have had anxiety long time never had this weird issue. one doctor said eustaian tube dysfunction can take three months to calm down and another said from tmj cause ing eustatian tube issue. Either way it causes me to stress out. Hate it all! You are not alone. Anything can occur with an anxiety disorder it stresses out the whole body and just causes strange stuff to happen. Focuing on it is the worst. Somehow you need to find a way to self calm or get your body to to stop connecting the panic attacks with the ailments so much. I have no answers sadly. I wish i did. Im riding this thru sometimes not so well but from past experience i know even the strangest symtpoms can calm down after a few months on their own. Its a mind game so im trying to mind game it back by not feeding into it. I cant use medicatiins for anxiety except the rare xanax so it gets challenging. What a mess this stupid anxiety disorder is. So many people have it one fourth of the population already. Thats a tremendous amount of people. They should have a tv channel purely for people with anxiety disorders and constant self calming techiques and stuff. This should be out in the media all the time teaching the public about it. Its time they do that now.I know they have you tube but just help people too many of us are suffering. I hope you feel better and i hope you figure this all out. We all got to hang in there.
    • Posted

Actually i think it is its one in five, but still a lot of people. Idk the statistics change a lot.
    • Posted

Lisa smile I had a funny episode with my ear a while ago. Suddenly I had this constant "whining " sound, like a high pitched sonar. It went on for weeks and it drove me mad I can tell you. Then it sort of came and went and now haven't had it for a while. Hope yours goes. It's so irritating I know. I don't know if it went because I got accustomed to it or not. I was just relieved it stopped as suddenly as it came.

Oh Lisa, as always your post is full of forward thinking! What great ideas you have and you are a veritable mine of information.

Lots of love and many hugs, Helen xxx

• Posted

Might even be more. There's folk out there don't even realize they have it!

• Posted

Thanks helen. I would just like it go away anyway possible at this point. I dont mind if i adjusted to it or it healed i just dont want to know about it haha. But this weird stuff does show up..and yes it hangs around for a while and it then goes. I have learned it can really take months at times. It has before with other stuff. So trying to keeo my wits about it and ride it out. 
    • Posted

It's amazing what the body can produce next. Just when you think you've had about everything there is to have, something new pops up! When my ear noise started up, and at the time I was curled up in a chair reading, I thought, What the hell is that? LOL

Keep hanging in  there my beautiful friendbiggrin

• Posted

Very hard to realize you dont panic lol. But i know what you mean.
    • Posted

I resposed to you the other day and accidently put a web site that I go onto to try to calm me.  But I guess you cannot share web sites and I didn't know that.  I also hope you feel better as well.  I am going to see what people on you tube are saying.

• Posted

Mine also only happens at night.. I'm anxious through the day but when evening and night hit, it gets ten times worse.. I think partially because we know that's when it happens, so our minds automatically get a bit nervous and panicky expecting it.. I've told myself before that my panic comes in the day, ironically enough I'll have it during the day.. Its almost like tricking your mind into not believing the schedule.

• Posted

Last night was my 3rd night of sever panic attacks.  I ran out of my lorazapan getting it refilled now, Paniced at the thought of not having a scripted in hand.  I am going to the Dr, tomorrow and just to make sure my oxgen levels are OK.  Because that is when it starts most always I am not able to get that deep breath and then its on.  I am so tired right now I can hardly get my daily work done.  I wish I could have a way to have it in the day time. (if I have to have them at all)  B ut the dark of the night is just frightening to me anymore.  I have found something that helps a bit on the internet, I put my headset on and listening to one of the sounds and it at least gets my mind in a place that isn't concentrating on the thought of not being able to breath.

• Posted

Well it's 1829 cst and here we go again.  My hands are shaking so bad I hope my words don't come out strange.  I have a Dr. appt tomorrow at 10am.  I am to the point aside from checking my oxygen levels to make sure they are fine what else I can do.  I know that steroids will also help but that is just temporary.  There is something causing this and I just don't know if it is physical or in my mind that maybe I can control it.  This one is not going to be plesant and it just scares me to death.  I feel like i'm drowning when I can't get that deep breath.  I just want to cry but if I do then my nose will get stuffy and then I will not be able to breath out of my nose.  This is a curse.

• Posted

Ok you know exactly what it is, you've expected it to be here on a night, so now is your chance to get through it calmly.. Take a nice slow deep breath in through your nose with your eyes closed, as much as you can.. Hold it for a few seconds and slowly let it out through your mouth. You're not going to die, your doctors appointment will go ok.. Your mind will hate it when you don't give in!

• Posted

Thanks for you kind words of encouragement.  I did make it throught the night, it wasn't easy because the panic attack was just awful.  The Dr. ran some test and more encouraging words were the possiblity this is thyroid related.  I had thyroid removed about 7 yrs ago.  Having it removed really didn't do anything but take me from hyper to hypo.  And its possible that I am not regulated with my replacement meds.  They are running other tests as well, this Dr. is determind to find the reason for these panic attacks.  Today I feel so tired and think I will do nothing all day and keep my mind positive for the evening.  Thank all who have responded to my rants.  I can't tell you how good it is to talk to others who know what a panic attack feels like.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.