panic attacks during sleep

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all I think I may have started something newish to me I thought I was having panic attacks in my sleep ages ago but this morning after a bunch of nightmares I had a normal dream to which I kind of jolted awake because I started having the deep belly feeling like something bad was happening also then I felt I wasn't breathing properly in my sleep does anybody else suffer this it's made my anxiety awful today im walking around with breathing problems and feeling the doom constantly like I know something isn't right ?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure if this will help at all, I have sleep apnea and when I am sleeping sometimes I don't get enough breaths so that jolts me awake immediately gasping for air. Have you ever experienced that before? 
    • Posted

Yes kind of not every night but seemed to be January to febuary earlier this year that's what I was having it felt as though my breathe was holding itself I did a night in hospital in Oct 2014 though for diffrent reasons on a heart monitor all night would that have shown sleep apnea ? This morning was kind of diffrent though I did it two times it kind of felt my breath was been took away rather than been held ?
    • Posted

You should set up a sleep study that would show sleep apnea. I'm not sure a heart monitor alone would necessarily be able to tell you that. Most nights I don't feel it but sometimes when I am exhausted the apnea wakes me up. Should look into it, might help out.
    • Posted

That would explain a lot as it's most nights when I'm over tiered I awake with it how strange I will definitely be mentioning it to my Dr and asking for a study thankyou x
    • Posted

No problem, there can be a lot done to help with sleep apnea if that's what you have. I wouldn't get too worried about it. If it happens at night and wakes me up I usally prop my head up higher and do some tongue excercises you can read about if you google it. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.