Panic attacks for 3 weeks and sudden bone pain. Possible causes?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have always had anxiety but it has hit me hard this time that I'm put on lexapro. So to start off what has been happening. In mid September, as I was doing homework I itched my neck and then found a slight lump. Lost 4 days of sleep over it and had a few nightmares. Finally decided to get it check by an ENT and then sent to get an ultrasound. ENT said the lump she felt was my sternocleidomastoid muscle which was slightly bigger than my left side. Thank God my results are good and I was so relieved! Fast forward to a week later, I started getting random hot flashes and chills on and off for about a week which eventually lead me to more symptoms such as nausea, vertigo, uncontrollable trembling/shaking, sweating, chills, ect one Saturday. I would get like that everyday ever since so then I decided to take myself to urgent care one Tuesday to check what's going on. They took my vitals and ran some bloodwork and results were perfect, expect that they found slight blood in my urine which alarmed me! It's still on the back of my mind. But the doctor said everything is normal and not to worry. She referred me to psychiatrist and told me to get help for panic disorder. She also gave me Atarax to take short term only when I felt like I was going to panic again. After that I still kept getting these symptoms without any known triggers. The next Saturday night, I ended up in the ER with the same panic symptoms but 100x worse. That night I thought I was dying. Due to the trembling, vertigo, nausea and lack of counciouness, I demanded at CT scan of my head because I thought I had a brain tumor. They ran some bloodwork also so CT scan and bloodwork was normal. I was sooo relieved and happy!! Then up until now which is a week later, I noticed I lost 8 pounds in 2 1/2 weeks which scares me. My fiancé says it's due to my anxiety and that I'm of eating enough which is true. I have completely lost interest in food. I lost my appetite completely and if I try to eat, I feel like I'll get sick. I read up that it's caused my an anxious stomach, an anxiety symptom. Also, I have sudden bone pain in my left leg, left rib cage, and left arm. Now I think I may have bone cancer due to this sudden pain. The pain comes and goes whether I'm laying down or moving. I also have a lump on my left rib cage which I found over a year ago and didn't think anything of it until now. I am trying not to worry but I am going to make an appointment with an internist to explain these symtoms to him and hopefully get a peace of mind again.

On Wednesday I saw a therapist and we just talked and went over what's going on. She gave me some tips on how to relax and get my mind off of things.

On Friday I went to a walk in behavioral health clinic for a full diagnoses and intensive therapy. They diagnosed me with GAD, health anxiety, and panic disorder. The psychiatrist prescribed me Lexapro 10mg and I may start today.

I just feel that lexapro might not help the fact that I think I have bone cancer. So I don't know what to do anymore....

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You dont have bone cancer so hopefully it can help with the obssession of the thought.
  • Posted

Lol. Hi, I'm not laughing of you, but for myself. I'm in the same situation. I refused the diagnosis from my doctor 10 months ago, I had a horrible panic attack 2 months ago and end up 3 days in the hospital, I thought I was having a heart attack, they found some issues, nothing to worry about it, but of course, a worry a LOT. And again, they said panic attack, I went to my doctor for a follow up, and he prescribed me xanax, of course I complain, because for me, I have IBS o gluten intolerance. .. do I start a gluten free diet, felt better, and then again with the spells (hot flushes, trembling, cold, dizzy... etc) I got tested, and negative, so I changed my Primary care doctor, and he confirmed my problem, but I'm happy I changed my dr, I really like this one, I feel like he is taking care of me, but of course I told him I need to see a GI, he referred me one, I'm waiting for the call.

3 days ago, I spoke with my cousin, and she told me, she got this problem since she was a kid, as she advise me very nice. The first thing to do, is accept the problem, go to a psychiatrist and take the medicine. She recomended me do yoga-breathing exersice, and lot of walking.

Yo are no alone in this, I feel what you feel, my bone hurts, I also think I have bone cancer, I think I may have colon cancer, brain tumor, but we need to relax, take deep breathing and calm down, chamomile tea, is good, lavander for your tub... etc don't think negative, I know is hard, I'm dealing with it, my doctor prescribed me Celexa, I still don't take it, I'm scared to take it, but I'm done with this feeling, and the pains, today before bed, I'll take it, I'll do therapy, I'll do everything, because I need my life back, I can't stay in home all day, afraid of going out, or driving a car, o better, doing shopping, I can't go shopping, it really sucks.

You take care, we are stronger than this chemicals our brain need, we can end it up, we can do it.

Stay positive.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you for the thorough response. I am glad that I'm not alone. My pain is in my left side knee and sometimes my shin, ankles, calves, and thighs. It's hard to ignore it though and that's when I get anxious and possible panic attacks.

• Posted

Thank you for the thorough response. I am glad that I'm not alone. My pain is in my left side knee and sometimes my shin, ankles, calves, and thighs. It's hard to ignore it though and that's when I get anxious and possible panic attacks.

• Posted

Hi Monii, my pain is in my right knee, ankles, neck, left shoulder, sometimes right shoulder, chest pain, headaches, hands, stomach. I took Celexa 3 hours ago, I was very scared, i did a lot of breathing exersice to calm my self down, I did it, and I feel good lol, I will continue with this medication, I hope it help me, I got 2 times hot splashes,and I'm having tremors right now, but I know what it is, and I'm trying to calm myself. I'm going to bed now, it will help me.

I hope you feel better.

Take care.

• Posted

Monii

You are your own worse enemy, bone cancer is rare, I would think you have Anxiety

You have Mntal Health Professionals working with you, give them time and be open to their suggestions. The medication is ok they are making good calls with your health

Good luck, get well

• Posted

Mini.. Is side effects of the medication.i was on lexapro for 3 years I decided to stop because i didn't like it.this medicine is so pawerfull... I quite this med 2 months ago and I still feel the side effects

• Posted

Hi Erik, no it's not the side effects of medication because I have not even started on lexapro yet. I have only taken hydroxyzine as needed 3 times within a two week period.

• Posted

Is the medication that you were put on I had the same problem as me what you have is what they call is a nerve breakdown
    • Posted

Yes, I indeed have a nervous break down which got me into the ER. It was very scary
  • Posted

I have the same problem I am learning how to deal without taking any medication.dont worry you not alone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.