Panic attacks, Paranoia &B12 def.

Posted , 3 users are following.

So, I have these questions today:  Who has dealt with panic attacks and how severe where they? Were they triggered by something? What about paranoia, how serious does it get? How did you feel in both these situations?

These questions are related to Severe B12 deficiency.

Would like your inputs, thanks.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Symptoms of B12 deficiency tend to develop slowly and may not be recognised immediately. As the condition worsens, common symptoms include:

Weakness and fatigue

Light-headedness and dizziness

Palpitations and rapid heartbeat

Shortness of breath

A sore tongue that has a red, beefy appearance

Nausea or poor appetite

Weight loss

Diarrhoea

Yellowish tinge to the skin and eyes

If low levels of B12 remain for a long time, the condition also can lead to irreversible damage to nerve cells, which can cause the following symptoms:

Numbness and tingling in the hands and feet

Difficulty walking

Muscle weakness

Irritability

Memory loss

Dementia

Depression

Psychosis

It is also important that your Folate level is monitored as this is essential to process the B12.

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance.

Symptoms of a folate deficiency can include:

symptoms related to anaemia

reduced sense of taste

diarrhoea

numbness and tingling in the feet and hands

muscle weakness

depression

Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly 

I am not a medically trained person but I've had Pernicious Anaemia (a form of B12 deficiency) for more than 45 years.

I wish you well. 

• Posted

Y
    • Posted

Yes. I have been experiencing this lately. I had no idea what was happening and it took a lot of research until I realized the panic attacks were related to my PA.  Started in December last year out of the blue.  Awful! I have some coping techniques that work well enough to get to work and function, but it is not fun.  What has your experience been like? Maybe I can help. 
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply! My experience has been absolutely terrible!! I have specific triggers though, my panic attacks don't come out of the blue, also they can be worse according to the time of the month (as well as depression and anxiety). Since I started taking b12 in higher doses I feel better.

What are your coping techniques if i may ask?

• Posted

What frequency of B12 injections are you on?

Do you know the cause of your B12 deficiency?

Are you supplementing with folic acid?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.