Panic attacks & severe anxiety after edible. Please read/help.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi friends,

I apologize if this is a long post but I am desperately looking for help/hearing from people who had an experience similar to mine smile

I've never used any other drugs in my life and I've never been a big fan of Marijuana and only tried smoking it 3 times and didn't enjoy it much.

Two months ago (Mid February), I went on a ski trip to Colorado with a couple of friends who decided to buy gummies (5mg THC each). I wasn't much interested but after hearing that it's so much different from smoking, I thought I would take half of the gummy just for the fun of it and feel it out (worst decision I made in my life). After about an hour of bar hopping, it kicked in and I couldn't stop myself from laughing at almost everything and anything. It hit me hard and I was enjoying it.

We got pretty tired and decided to go back to our airbnb, and in the cab I started to feel a little anxious but nothing too crazy. Fast forward 30 minutes, I am sitting on the couch and I started panicking and I could hear my heart racing and beating like it was on a loud speaker system. I asked my friend how long this is supposed to last and he said just a few hours and that I should just go sleep it off. I went to bed and woke up the next day feeling a little spaced out/hungover but i told myself it would fade away after a few days.

For about a month, I was feeling a little off a few mins during the day but totally ignored it and lived my life normally and happily; until about three weeks ago when i was driving to meet my friends and out of nowhere had the most severe panic attack! I lost totally control over my body! and after a few hours, got another one! I started getting these attacks everyday since for about a week and my friend gave me some Xanax to help me stay calm.

After horrible days of being physically and emotionally ill (constant depersonalization, jittering, fear, etc), I decided to go see a psychiatrist who prescribed to me a SSRI (Lexapro 10mg) to stop the panic attacks from happening. This is helping stop the panic attacks but my mind doesn't feel normal. I feel numb and have racing thoughts and can't get to stop thinking about what happened to me. I feel like I am messed up my life entirely.

I don't drink coffee or alcohol and needless to say that I don't smoke or mess with weed. I also never had any mental issues before this!

Did anyone experience this? Does this go away? Any advice on what to do?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

First of all you have no need to worry. Doctors are well educated. I m in similar condition last 4 years. 23 cardiologist checked me and they said anxiety. Do you smoke? Not smoke. Do take mstjuana .Anxiety kills our life. People want they have to suidide.

I dont believe on doctors i say i have heart problem but i have to believe in dr. Because they saw hearts from inner side when they operation an open heart surgery. So as i read your story i guess i have all same conditions that you have now. You always has a fear of heart failure or heart attack. But nothing. Like you i have also unhealthy life style. I m 37 . My life is ruind.my english is not good so please dont mind. I think my life is finished. I did not marry. I cannot enjoy my life.

So now come towards solution. You need a possitive thinking. Do you have friends? I guess when you meet to your friends your first periorty to discuss your heart problem. This is not good. You have to be brave. Here every one can only tell you his story. But nobody stand with you. I think your are from west. But distance does not matters. Actually anxeity takes long time to go. And sleeping mind pills are not effected. Its feel like we drunk. We cannot take serious and enjoy our life. You need people who talk with you and encourage you. Coperate you. I m far from you but i can help you if you agree. Because i face anxiety and pain attacks. Thanks and smile. Stay blessed.

• Posted

Hi Panjoke. Sorry you are going through this. Try to take comfort in the fact that you're not alone. I don't know if "gummies "triggered anxiety, to be honest, it's not important. You're suffering and that's the issue.

The best thing I did was read up on anxiety, treatments etc. Trying to fight panic only creates panic. Took me a long time to realise that!

you sound like you may be experiencing some side effects from the medication. They should wear off after some weeks, but obviously, speak to your psychiatrist.

keep talking about it. Get to know the condition. It will honestly help.

• Posted

Thank you Tina. I totally understand what I have and what I am going through. 

I just really don't feel like myself now and I don't know if this is the medication or something else. I used to be a super happy, energetic and happy kid with a super sharp memory; and here I am feeling numb, tired, and can't even think straight.

I really want to get off medication but I am afraid I will go back to square 1. In the back of my mind, I also think there's a chance I will be totally okay without medication. I am so lost sad

• Posted

Please believe this. You are the same person you always have been. You will get better but there is no "quick fix". People have different views on meds. Nobody but you can decide on whether to persevere with them. Personally ,and this is just my view, I would give them a bit longer. You could then think about CBT if you feel it's right.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.