Panic attacks since I broke my ankle

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I'm 12 days post Op and I'm suffering from horrible panic attacks right after my accident and now they are worse after surgery.  I feel closterphobic with the splint on and have to go in to Drs office Wed for them to put a cast on.  I will have to wear the cast for 3 weeks and then we will see how I'm doing at that point.  I have a special needs son on top of everything else that is going on so I'm having to give up control to my mom and husband when it comes to my son.  This is so hard to do.  I'm realizing I'm a bit of a control freak.  The other night I went into the ER because I couldn't handle another day of clustered panic attacks.  They gave me Two 1mg pills of Ativan and they kicked in about 2 hours after taking. That night was the first night of consistent sleep that I had gotten in 3 days.  At that point I had gone 3 days with only 2 hrs of sleep.  I can't take norco or percaset because it makes my panic attacks worse.  So I'm just popping Tylenol .  I've been dealing with nonstop pain and literally just want to give up. But I know I can't.  Just so exhausted and tired of fighting the panic attacks and the pain. Has anyone gone through this? 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

My advice is to ask for pain medication you can tolerate. If you can't take them have them give you a prescription for Ativan. This injury will definitely try you both physically and mentally. Hope that helped.

• Posted

I was going to call the Dr tomorrow to ask for the script of Ativan.  Hopefully there isn't any issues.  I seem to have an issue tolerating pain meds.  I've been on Percaset, oxcycontin and norco snd all three made me fidgety and angry and they made the panic attacks worse.  Maybe there is a different pain med I can take that I'm not aware of. Thank you for your advice. 

• Posted

This is so true , Warren. These injuries are so much more sometimes on the emotions to get through them.  You have to be strong and find that place you can just relax and make it through the day.  Family is a huge support during all this. At least in my case. I found myself snapping at my husband for no good reason and felt bad about it.  But in our defense, unless you've been through it no one knows this pain physically and mentally.  Minute by minute is how I've taken things. 

Best of luck!

Rose

Rose 

• Posted

I try not to think about it but it's hard not to. What a ordeal. It has made every emotion come out of me.

• Posted

Watren, 

I can relate when it comes to every emotion coming out of you!  I have been sobbing like a baby to thrashing out because of the pain to begging for relief.  It's been a crazy ride thus far! What kind of surgery did you have? 

• Posted

Hi mate , I’m 29 male and broke my ankle in 3 places on April 12th falling off a ladder in work spent 3 weeks with metal pins an then had surgery on may 1st have been through every emotion as u say can’t believe hw mentally challenging it has been so far go from feeling positive one hour to wanting to cry the nxt jus came across this site an think it cud help to knw I’m nt alone was jus wondering wat u had done an hws ur recovery goin thank you 
    • Posted

Or If surgery. Bimolllear fracture tibia and fibula. Plate and 10 screws.
    • Posted

Or If surgery. Broken tibia and fibula. 10 screws and plate. Out 3 months 10 days. Still unable to walk going to pt. I am having trouble bearing weight. I had a lot of those emotions as well. They say all cases are different some heal faster than others. Hoped that helped.
    • Posted

Yikes!  Sounds way worse than mine! Either way it's been challenging for us both it seems.  I just went to my family Dr today and they prescribed Ativan and Gabapentin.  I took 2 Gabapentins this afternoon and all of the twitches and burning sharp pains have subsided!! The Ativan is just for st night to help me sleep.  As you can see by what time it is I haven't slept yet.  So I'm hoping ghe Ativan will work soon!  Have you been on these medications?  Hope all is well! 

• Posted

Hi Tara, 

Once the temp splint cast is off they will wash your foot a bit with nice warm water. It feels so nice. Ask them before the cast goes on to let your foot breath a while. Normally *at least in my case* they are not in a hurry in the casting room.. 

Then you will be asked what color you want for your hard cast. Make it fun because looking at it you'll need something spiffy! smile  They will cut the toes out for you so you can "breath" and not feel that closed in feeling having it on.  

Pain wise , they can give you something else, just ask your doc about this.  You def. have a lot on your plate with your son, also. Try to relax yourself. Take heed that your family is taking great care of him for you. Little by little it does get better. I've been through 3 of these surgeries since Aug of '17.... 

You've got this. 

Good luck, 

Rose

• Posted

Thank you for the advice Rose.  I am looking forward to Wed so I can see it again.  Just praying the incisions are healing well!  I'm a very headstrong person and this accident has thrown me into this tissy!  I try to stay positive and take it little by little but that I'm itself is a challenge!   

Wow three surgeries ?  Yikes.  I need bunion surgery sometime in my future but after this ordeal I think I will wait as long as I can. Ugh! 

Again thank you!

• Posted

HI Tara, 

Yea, I am a pretty stubborn person myself! It has been hard to give it up to the family to help. But in the end I knew it was what had to happen. 

And I agree, wait for the bunion surgery! Doing 3 so quick was tough... not going to lie.  If you can give yourself some space in between do it! 

Rose

• Posted

I definitely will wait for the bunion surgery!  I am feeling a bit better now after I saw my family Dr. today.  She gave me a prescription for Ativan and gabapentin for the nerve pain.  The Ativan is to help me sleep at night.  There is a tiny light at the end of the tunnel finally!  Thank you for all of your advice! 
    • Posted

Your welcome Tara! So glad your doctor gave you some meds to help you relax and sleep! You will start to feel like a new person soon! 

Take care, 

Rose

• Posted

Hope things go ok
    • Posted

Thank you!  Sleep has made such a big difference.  The Ativan is helping out with this.  The gabapentin is a life saver.  My pain is gone! Thank you for caring! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.