Panic Attacks with feelings of unreality

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last night I woke up in a Panic Attack at 2:00am. It was so bad, I ran around the house, just to get away from the horrible thoughts and feelings. This made it worse. After one year of resisting Valium, I took a 40mg dose, and finally fell asleep. Today I am very depressed and lost. I don't know what to do next. Living with this is impossible.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Panic attacks that occur from a dead sleep always seem to be the worst for me. Running around your house at 2 in the morning was probably telling your subconscience brain that there was indeed something to fear which is why it may have gotten worse. also the depression the next day is understandable. panic attack take a lot out of you plus the medicine slows you down. there for a while these types of occurences were the norm for me but i am so much better than i was a year ago. i watched a lot of you tube videos on the brain and neuroplasticity and just how and why the mind works the way it does and that helps a lot. Only watch positive things and only think on good things.

• Posted

Your kind reply helped enormously. My P-doc said the same thing--that the subconscious is breaking into the conscious mind. Why does the unreality feel MORE real than reality? I will try to focus on more positive thoughts. These strategies are helpful, but it seems I'm building a small dam against a tidal wave. I don't take Valium regularly. In fact, in March it will be one year that I have not used them (except for last night). Do ssri's really help? I do NOT want to rely on Valium to get through these horrible attacks.

Again, your kind reply is very much appreciated. Thank-you so much.

• Posted

the other commenter is right. when you have a panic attack and you decide to run around trying to get of the feelings, you are actually confirming to your brain that there is a real danger and that is why you feel worse. accept the attack and it will pass in 5-10 minutes

• Posted

This happens to me as well. I Noticed you said bad thoughts along with the bad feelings which is what happens to me and its truly awful. its like you want to run out of your own body its so powerful. the bad thoughts along with feelings make everything harder. but hang in there. you are not alone. im a message away if you need someone to talk to!

• Posted

Thank you for your encouragement. Yes, I want to run away from the thoughts and feelings. No one who hasn't been through these can truly understand. And I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy. Being afraid all the time gets old fast. Yoga breathing is helpful to reduce the feelings of constant anxiety. But when I wake up in a panic attack strategies don't seem to help at the moment.

• Posted

Hi Neelie i can relate to your panic attacks as i have similar ones in my case i feel that i want to get outside of myself it is the worst feeling i have ever felt i dont like to use prescriptions as i think they do nothing but mask the problem when you get one of these attacks try doing what has helped me somewhat i say in a loud voice to the panic attack YOU ARE NOT REAL ! several times and i order you to go away also i look at the panic attack as a wave in the ocean which will reach a peak and then pass im also taking St Johns wart which seems to help somewhat

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.