Panic disorder and fatigue

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone with panic disorder notice you're symptoms are 10000x worse when you get less then 6 hours of sleep? I'm fine most days and it's just anxiety but when I don't get my sleep it will be full on panic attacks and scared all day! It's insane, I used to pride myself on running on 2-4 hours of sleep when I was 16-18 and would party every night

I loved the feeling but now I fear road trips because I know il be freaking out almost to the point of crying and I feel certain I'm gonna die because of my heart pounding and palpitations haha, just a question, I may be the only one

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yes, from my experience I can tell you that I'm more anxious and panicky when I haven't been sleeping well. Your brain needs sleep to function at its best. Are you not sleeping because of insomnia?

• Posted

No I sleep very well actually, well when I do finally get to sleep I can sleep 12 hours no problem and I never wake up in the night, it's just when I'm forced to wake up early at like 6 to catch a ferry or something, but I am a night owl and usually stay up until 2-3

• Posted

Wow! How can this sound like I wrote this about myself. .. I thought I was the only one who was feeling this way I could slp 2-4 hrs and party, run around and stay up all night now if I had to drive a 2-4 hrs anywhere in would have to be heavy medicated. ..this is so weird. Also to wake up and I'm already feeling anxious..it's because lack of slp sometimes.

• Posted

Same me and my girlfriend took a 12 hour road trip and I was having panic attacks in the car for like 10 hours straight. I think it may have been because I'm anxious about going anywhere that's not my home town and the sleep deprivation doesn't help

• Posted

Yes! And for me it can be an endless cycle the anxiety makes me not be able to sleep and the lack of sleep makes me more anxious..ugh. Are you on any meds? My panic disorder is very bad I'm not sure I could leave the house without the antidepressant controlling the full blown panic.. but the anxiety is still always there and panic sometimes. My dr recently prescribed something for night to help me sleep, not a sleeping pill or anything habit forming and it's helping a bit but again depending on my stress and anxiety levels that day/week depends on how well I sleep

• Posted

No I spoke with a panic disorder professional and she said that once you embrace the panic and learn to talk yourself down and relax there should be no need for meds as it dosnt help anywhere long term, I was having them every night and although I was scared it got old and I begin to just stand up out of my sleep, shove my head in the pillow and try and go back to sleep witch is impossible haha I'm much better now tho

• Posted

I know it may not be realistic but what really helped me was 2 weeks off

I told my work I was going on vacation and that's it, I just stayed at home staying busy and going on a lot of hikes

If you're not staying busy with something you like you'll get it thinking and anxiety will creep in but a good movie video game and hiking helped me a lot

• Posted

I know exactly what both of you mean... Insomnia can exacerbate anxiety, and anxiety can prevent you from sleeping. It's a nasty cycle. 

• Posted

You my as well wrote about me! If I get less than 7 hours of sleep I panic all day feel off balance and can't think! 6 years ago I could stay up all night keep going never bothered me!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.