Panic disorder or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

OK it all started with a numbness in my leg. Then about two weeks ago I had a panic attack and since then I have had tingling and numbness in left leg which occasionally moves to my left arm. I woke up the other day with my left v leg completely numb. Today I woke up with the right side of my body completely numb. I have stinging pain whenurinating but goes away after a while. Neurologist referred a MRI and emg

I have been through a very traumatic few months as dad passed away from ALS but neurologist said it's highly unlikely with me due to the rareness of the disease.

My wife says it's all in my head but I'm terrified and cannot sleep.

Any suggestions anyone please.

I have health anxiety. Can anxiety reality cause all this!!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It absolutely can be health aniexty. Your mind can create all kinds of symptoms. I do it to myself all the time with my head and chest. My wife used to make her arm hurt thinking she was going to have a heart attack. I'm still working through my aniexty and trying not to let my mind take over with negative thoughts. Definitely talk to a doctor is what I think you're going to hear on here.
  • Posted

Yes health anxiety, panic attacks can do this and more. Saying that a full thorough physical exam makes sense.
  • Posted

I am sorry for you loss

These are all classic anxiety symptoms.

Anxiety/panic thrives off fear

Try to stay calm exercise eat well keep hydrated.

Consider therapy to learn techniques how to cope.

Stay Strongcool

• Posted

Thank you Lynne.

These responses have been my lifeline.

Again today I woke up feeling the same numbness legs.

I keep thinking that this can't be anxiety and it is some horrible disease.

Will have to wait a couple of days for my MRI results and have a nerve conduction test with a neurologist tomorrow .

I find it hard to understand why the body would go numb during sleep.

• Posted

When you say you woke up with your leg numb do you mean it goes away after a few mins or did it stay numb for 2 weeks? I am just wondering because I have severe health anxiety and about 8 months ago I know I for sure had a nervous breakdown. I started having panic attacks and I barely got out of been for 6 months. I couldn't work I lost almost 20 lbs I was really a mess. I was convinced I had a serious disease and I couldn't cope or do anything. I laid in bed evry day and googled symptoms and went into panic attacks evwry day more then once. Everytime one symptom would go away I would get a new one. I was so tense my whole body hurt. I woke up about 3 times in 8 months with one of my legs numb and I literally hyperventilated. I was so scared. I went to the dr like 3 times a week bc I was convinced I was dying and something serious was wrong. My dr told me it was stress and anxiety causing all my symptoms but i didn't believe her. Hiw could it cause all these symptoms? I was in such a state of panic for so long I couldn't rationalize that I went through a very stressful time and then all these started happening it must just be anxiety. In my mind there was no way it could cause all this. 8 months later I am so much better then I was and I still have bad days where I will think I have a neurological disease ànd I just try and igbore it. I still have a little way to go to get back to 100% but this was absolutely the hardest and worst 8 months of my life I haven't felt the same since. Sorry for the long post I just wanted u to know your not alone and tell you through so many numerous dr visits I had emg tests I went to a neurologist and they wouldn't give me an mri bc they aid it was anxiety and I didn't need it. They told me it was all the tension irritating the nerves and bc all I was doing was laying in bed everyday for months I wasn't getting good circulation and when I was sleeping on my side with one lwg over the other it went to sleep and went numb.after I woke up it went away within a couple mins it didn't stay numb for long but it did happen when I was in a really bad depression. Let me know how you make out.
    • Posted

Have you got your results? I've had same experience but keep getting told it is anxiety!

• Posted

Ooks like thhe nuerologist is running some tests for you, so that should help a lot in your concerns. Be sure to drink a lot of water througout the day in general that should help your body properly function. I will also add if you sleep on one of those memory beds where they lock you in place rethink that. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.