Panic disorder starting citaloprim after being off them for 6 months

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone I've been searching through these forums looking for some sort of help and reassurance.

About 3 years ago I had a really bad panic attack ended up in hospital etc then couldn't seem to get passed the fear of it happening again. I ended up on citaloprim 20mg that eventually helped me to get passed it. I've since had two children one is 2 the other is 6 months. I was on and off the citaloprim between pregnancy and was able to maintain on just half a tablet 10mg. The last two weeks out of the blue this panic has returned worse then ever I constantly feel like I'm struggling to get a deep breath in which is really scary as I feel I can't breath then I get all tense and hot and just feel miserable. I started up the citaloprim 5 days ago 10mg for a week then upping it to 20mg after that. My symptoms seem so much worse I have a constant knot in my stomach every morning I wake up with the worst feeling I don't want to deal with the day I just feel miserable and the panic is really bad I feel like I'm just holding it together. I know things can get worse before they get better but I don't remember it being this bad last time I started it. I'm wondering if anyone knows how long until things will start to calm down? I know they take 6-8 weeks to see full affect but just wanting these symptoms to subside. And will they get worse when I go up to the 20mg?

Sorry about the story I really hope there's someone out there who can help me.

Thank you for reading 😊

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jelly. It is my second time on citalopram too and feel exactly the same. The first time i took it 6 yrs ago and had less side effects. Also it started working way sooner than the second time(Dec this yr). This time Side effects were horrible and after 3 months i have just started to feel better. I am sure you will start seeing changes soon. Xxx
    • Posted

Ho Ferim

Thanks for your reply. So did it take 3 months for the symptoms to subside? Did you get heightened anxiety etc? What mg are you on if you don't mind me asking? I just want to feel normal again. I have no appetite as my stomach is just in knots but am forcing myself to eat as I'm breastfeeding my youngest so need to be eating it's so horrible.

• Posted

I know how horrible these feelings are. I had terrible heightened anxiety when started on 20. It was so bad that one night just walked up and down the room for hours. I thought i was going crazy and was going to pass out any minute. I am so much better now. It took me around 2 months for anxiety to lessen. I am not fully recovered though and am still waiting. Hope u get better soon. Dont stop tge med. Good luck
    • Posted

Ok thanks for that I'm only on day 5 now so I know I have a long way to go it just feels like it's never going to get better. And I'm worried it will get worse when I up my dose to the 20mg. But I will preserve and hopefully see some improvement soon. Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it 😊
    • Posted

Hey it may get worse a little while but persevere as everyone says it gets better. Try lessen your stress if u can. I went from

20-30 two wks ago. First wk awful tiredness, nausea, headaches but then felt gd for few days. But we're moving house n my RSI came back so getting anxious again. But I know once things settle there my anxiety wil go again. Plus I was on 20 for several urs so the increase could

Take a while To settle In my system.

• Posted

Thank you I will defiantly persevere and just hopefully I'll see some improvement soon 6-8 weeks just seems like a life time away. It does help to read these forums and get replays from people who have had success so thank you very much for your reply. And good luck to you 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.