Panic Disorder with Diagnosed Heart Disease (CAD)

Posted , 3 users are following.

Does anyone out there have Panic Disorder and Heart Disease?  

I'm a 51 yr old woman whose had Panic Disorder for 30 years.  I recently had 3 stents placed in my heart.  

I'm wondering how people deal with having both issues when they present so similarly.  Any and all comments/advice appreciated.

Thank you,

Cindy

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would say you are a lucky lady to have those three stents, my husband has heart failure, surprising that he didn't need stents, even the Dr's until he had the angiogram thought that he had a clogged artery and or arteries, and then the dye confirmed his arteries were clear.

?He started walking when he got home from the hospital, only across the room, doing it three times a day, he had needed a wheelchair to toilet in the hospital, could not walk across room.

?Then I set up a chair at our front boundary, we live in Australia, he walked from his chair in the lounge to the chair, sat down had a break, and then walked back, never getting toooooo breathless, how do you judge that, you can carry on a conversation normally.

?A week later asked neighbor if I could set up a chair at his letterbox, agreed, and he extended his walking to the neighbors letter box.

?At his three month checkup the cardiologist was delighted with what we had worked out for ourselves.

?He is now nearly seven years on, has had ups and downs, if in doubt I have taken him to the heart hospital and had them check him out, and he is walking 4-5 kms a day and doing very well.

?I hope you are able to exercise that seems to be the trick as I understand it, but please ask your Dr's what you should be doing, and even ask if your heart hospital has a rehab program, some do but unless you ask, they don't seem to tell you, I asked and husband attended 8 week rehab program, not much differnet to what he was already doing, but put to rest many fears, incl a big anxiety attack that he couldn't get through, he had that he was never going to recover, and how to deal with one day working on a building site, and the next day the cardiologist saying if you go back to work you will die. 

Talk about crash retirement, he was 59 years old and all our plans we had for retirement and travel post 65 came to nothing, only now have we started to travel again as we have gained confidence that he will not collapse in a heap at my feet.

• Posted

Hi Cindy,

I used to have panic attacks & now have heart failure. Fortunately now I hardly have panic attacks; however i recall the symptoms all too well! You have plenty of experience of this yourself & know you can't panic if you slow down your breathing. If after trying breathing techniques, you're still having heart symptoms, I would suggest calling for an ambulance.

There is no such thing as being too careful when it comes to your heart.

Sorry I cannot offer anything else but hopefully some else will reply & be more helpful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.