panic or anxiety attack?

Posted , 8 users are following.

okay so the last couple of months throughout my high anxiety and stress about 4 times i’ve had what i believe to be a panic attack, however my breathing during these is totally normal! i can even have a proper conversation still. The symptoms i get whilst having these are pure dread and fear fearing i am about to die or have a heart attack, racing heart, palpitations, sweating, tingling, nausea, chest tightness, and feeling asif i am going to pass out (i never do) but my breathing is totally normal? is that normal? like all of that could be happening but i could be on the phone having a conversation? everywhere i’ve read about panic attacks it says mainly about the breathing being off like struggling to breathe and hyperventilating but like i say i don’t get that at all it’s weird, or could they be anxiety attacks which are different aren’t they? 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

jak, i am so happy you've asked this question. i've gone through the same thing, and i just don't understand it. i'll be freaking out, hands trembling, nausea, dizziness...all the regular symptoms of a panic attack, and my breathing is the only thing that's normal in my body. it just doesn't make sense. i thought i was the only one

• Posted

wow it’s so reassuring knowing i am not the only one too! but yes how weird isit? how long do yours usually last for too? mine don’t really last that long either about 10 minutes max if that! then afterwards i just feel really weird! it’s making me think i’ve got heart disease or something wrong with my heart because i don’t get the breathing problems! i could literally be having all of this but could be sat there breathing and talking normal it’s so bizzare! it doesn’t help that i suffer massively with health anxiety so i always think i’m dying of some sort of disease! i’ve had loads of tests plus an ekg at the doctors and a 24 hour ekg which was all normal! but i’ve read that ekgs are not really reliable giving false readings sometimes so that’s not very reassuring lol 
    • Posted

i haven't talked to anyone about this before and honestly this strange attack happened only once where i was incapacitated. i'd received a call in the middle of the night from my dad and he needed to go to the hospital...i told him i'd get some shoes on and be right over when suddenly the room was spinning and my hands were out of control, i couldn't walk straight and i was hunched over and collapsed on my bed. it felt like someone was squeezing my heart and punching my stomach. i arraigned another ride for him and tryed hanging onto my bed and calming down. i noticed my body trembling and thought i would blow up and die...and the whole time my breathing was calm and relaxed. strange. i could only take it for ten minutes. then i had to take an emergency xanax, which began to work in like 8 minutes. thank god. but my first thought was okay calm down, focus on your breathing...and to my surprise my breathing was the only part of my body that was comfortable. i just thought i was very weird

• Posted

Jak

If you hyperventilate, place a paper bag over the nose and mouth, breath into the bag, that will sort out  the problem.

You can also try sips of water, pinch your nose that may help as well. Sometimes holding the breath for a time can also help although the paper bag seems to be the best way. Do not use a polythene bag. Dangerous.

If not already talk to your GP regards your Anxiety, He may be able to help with some treatments

BOB

• Posted

I to have had panic attacks and called 911 thinking it was a heart attack. I was given ativan for them and then given clonazepam for the long term and they stopped altogether. A good thing to do when you feel that coming on is to breath deep and just think of the breathing nothing else, your not dying. This normally calms you down if you don't have any meds to help you out. Find out what triggers your attacks also and learn how to cope. Go to groups if you can. Talking here is a good step forward cause you know your not alone. Hope this helps

• Posted

I think that pretty much sounds like an anxiety attack even if there is no breathing problem. I started having them in 2018 too. Pretty similar to what you had
  • Posted

Anxiety attacks and their signs and symptoms can last from a few moments to many hours. The length of attack is generally determined by how frightened a person is and how they react to what it is they are afraid of and/or their anxiety attack. The greater the reaction, the longer the attack. 
  • Posted

Hi Jak, You gone through with Panic attack, Below are the differentiation between both:

An anxiety attack, people may feel fearful, apprehensive, may feel their heart racing or feel short of breath, but it's very short lived, and when the stressor goes away, so does the anxiety attack.

Panic attack on the other hand doesn't come in reaction to a stressor. It's unprovoked and unpredictable. And during a panic attack the individual is seized with terror, fear, or apprehension. They may feel that they're going to die, or lose control or have a heart attack. They have a host of physical symptoms which may include chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea.

• Posted

Hi Jak,

It's a good idea to recognize your symptoms of a panic attack or anxiety so you don't mistaken shortness  of breath and chest pain for a real heart attack. Don't always assume you know whats wrong.Get to know how your body reacts in different situations and for how long. Work with your doctor that's what they specialize in. Deep breathing helps also. Hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.