Panic & Palpitations

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Everybody,

I don't usually say much about myself but really suffering at the moment,just went up the town with Hubbie one shop and just shook from head to toe has really put me off going again ,have been going for a walk every day but going in shop was horrible ,back home trying to calm down sorry just had to rant feel so stupid.Does anybody else get this if so how do you control it done the deep breathing.

Thankyou.

Joan

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The thing is , Joan, that you cannot control it. The symptoms you are experiencing (and I know how horrible it can feel) are the result of excess adrenaline being pumped into your bloodstream by the adrenal glands (on top of your kidneys). There is nothing 'wrong' with you. This is a natural defence system in your body. However it is part of the involuntary nervous system (like your heart, lungs, intestines, sweat etc) which is not under our immediate control (so you cannot control it) but it does respond to our moods. There can be no reason for this happening or it can be caused by a stressful situation. Either way, once it's triggered excess adrenaline is released into the body. The effect of this can be fast heart beat, fast breathing, sweating, clammy hands, upset tummy, headaches, a tight chest, 'pins and needles' in hands and feet, giddiness, You will also have racing thoughts of imminent danger and the need to get away from this feeling.

Relax, you are ok. It is actually quite common. There are thousands of people in this country who are feeling the same as you. It can do no permanent damage. It cannot hurt you, it just feels really horrid. Try to calm down and reassure yourself. You are having an anxiety attack. I suggest a visit to your doctor just to reassure yourself but you will come to no harm. It just FEELS like you will. Try to ignore the symptoms and it will all calm down. Distract yourself from thinking about it. In fact, ignore it and it will go away. The more you fret and worry about it the more you are sending signals to your body that there is a threat and it will then respond (quite rightly) by pumping more adrenaline into your system. The more you can ignore it and distract yourself from it (and reassure yourself) the more it will repond that here is no threat (because there isn't) and it will stop pumping out the adrenaline. This is a very well known condition and I repeat that although you may FEEL that there is something terribly wrong, there really definately is not. It can be quite a tiring experience so be kind to yourself. There is nothing at all wrong with you. Have a warm bath. Relax as much as you can and comfort yourself (because it is a horrible feeling). You are not losing your mind and nothing will happen to you. Go and see your GP and telling him about it will help. Have a nice cup of tea! Best Wishes. You will be fine.

• Posted

Thankyou have told GP many times just want me on Meds. which I have tried many .thankyou for your relply

Joan

• Posted

Good reply ath, .....Joan, ath is probably right but depending on what degree you are shaking. If it is visually noticeable, I wouldn't take it as normal. I get shakes that extend to that stage and are really embarrassing. There are meds out there that will help you with that if it is as bad as mine. Sometimes herbal remedies help me such as melatonin, vitamin B subligual drops(OTC by the way) and others I can't remember off hand. Also, some drinks and food may cause this. Things loaded with sugar or caffeine (coffee, tea, cola's and those energy drinks). Might want to try to stay away from them. Hope that can help you out as well.
  • Posted

Thanks Pat,

Don't drink any of those,but Thankyou for replying.

Joan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.