Panic so hit the bottle and on naltrexone

Posted , 6 users are following.

Won't go into details but panic/shock an hour ago when found I owe ee mobile £650 on a new contract taken out a month ago for £10 a month unlimited(so I thought). 

Anyway was so shocked I didn't have time to give naltrexone the hour I'm supposed to give. Can Joanna or Paul let me know if I've just undone all the work of 9 days on naltrexone please? 

So so very very angry and upset 😱

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you taken naltrexone. If not and you are going to continue to drink, then probably you should.
    • Posted

yes took the naltrexone immediately as I was pouring the wine. 
    • Posted

Plus I'd done everyday for 8 or 9 days and had 3 days no alcohol at all. But I can't cope with these kind of shocks. Had to have Dutch courage to make a call to ee but no joy there sad
    • Posted

Well, like Joanna said, you probably got a little bit of a 'hit' in, before the naltexone managed to kick in.

You can't change it, just learn for next time. I'll swap you some of my alcohol free beer for your wine?

• Posted

It isn't ideal, PF, but we are human so these things do happen from time to time.

If your brain received any of the endorphins released from drinking before the hour was up, then it will mean that your brain got a rush from the alcohol.  This may make it crave more, and stronger, in the short term as it tries desperately to get that those endorphins again.

Think of it like the embers of a fire - they can take a long while to die out but if they get a gush of wind then they glow a bit more and live a little longer.  They got a rush of life again.

The main thing is to stop drinking immediately and ensure that you have definitely waited the hour and then take the first drink slowly again, as you have been doing.

And in the coming days, be aware that you may have stronger cravings than you expect.  Take the pill, wait the hour and then resume.

Most importantly of all, and this is a very big positive for TSM, as long as you stop and wait the hour tonight, and remain mindful throughout, you can answer your panic cravings and you will be very unlikely to binge :-)

You are still new to this, so certainly don't worry yourself unnecessarily. 

And I do hope you get the bill sorted.  No wonder you panicked! 

• Posted

Thanks for such a speedy reply Joanna, you are wonderful. Unfortunately though, I drank for that hour as gutted and so angry. I just don't want to go through all those side effects again. The giving up and staying sober for a while I've done so many times so I'm not scared of that. It's the getting back on track with naltrexone which worries me as I know I can't just stop tonight.
    • Posted

You MUST stop drinking immediately and wait the hour, PF.  Please do this.  If you want to call me and talk to me for the hour then I am happy to do that.

An unexpected mistake is one thing, but you will be making that mistake worse (and therefore very much harder to rectify later) by not stopping and waiting.  Continue giving your brain what it wants and it will rebel later when you are trying to gain control again.

You should know that the number ONE reason that TSM doesn't work is failing to comply to the taking the tablet and waiting one hour rule.

As I say, we are human and mistakes happen, but you are really not helping yourself if you don't wait the hour now you have realised the mistake.

• Posted

PF,

Here is a stat for you to consider which hopefully will help you next time you are shocked or panicked and have to whiteknuckle your way through that one hour.  I had times when I was physically shaking and desperate to drink in that one hour period, especially in the early days, but this is why I ALWAYS forced myself to wait, no matter what.... and no matter how much it hurt on those odd occasions that happened....

Of those that try TSM as a means of recovery from AUD:

80% of those will stay compliant and have a very favourable long term result.

12% will not be compliant and therefore the method doesn't work for them.  They will (at some point) stop taking the tablets in the belief that it doesn't work.

8% will find that despite being compliant, TSM just does not work for them.  At this stage, no one knows why that might be - but perhaps their addiction is centred in another part of their brain.

We know you are not part of that 8% because TSM has already shown promise during your first week.

So, the question is:  Do you want to part of the 80% that this method works for, or part of the 12% that it doesn't work for due to compliance issues?

Or, put another way, since we know you are not part of the 8%, you personally have a 100% chance of TSM working for you IF you remain complaint.

• Posted

If u were mis sold, u can complain and they might cancel some of the credit , try your luck dear
  • Posted

Well PF, how's your hangover this morning.

I must admit, I've never seen Joanna get cross with someone like that before.

• Posted

Not really cross, RHGB neutral

More frustrated for PF because this one hour thing just isn't negotiable for TSM.  It really isn't.  You can't train your brain to learn that it will never get the rush of alcohol endorphins again if you are conciously allowing it to get the rush. 

It makes the entire process so much more bumpy than it needs to be.

This morning, PF needs to figure out a way that she can cope with the hour if bad news happens.  It can be anything whatsoever, it doens't matter - as long as it doesn't involve drinking of course.  But it is imperative that she works out some kind of coping mechanism for that first hour to pass.

I know how diffficult it can be sometimes, I've been there.  But if I can find a way to manage that hour when it is desperate, than anyone can smile

• Posted

Also, PF, this morning you should take the tablet, wait the hour and have a drink slowly.  I know you might not feel like it, but you should.

It is important that you don't let your brain linger lovingly on the endorphin rush from last night.

You need to kick it in the butt immediately and let you brain know that you drank again without the rush this time.  You brain needs to be disappointed with alcohol today, so it doens't romance the idea of what happened last night.

Ok?

• Posted

I totally understand this panic and the drinking...that was always my first thought its like you stop breathing when you get a bill like that and don't know how to handle it...except to numb ourselves with alcohol.

Hope you didn't overdue it and maybe take the Naltraxone early today in case you find you are going to drink because of a hangover or reminense of panic from the bill.

• Posted

Hi. I did not reach the hour zone today either. Slept until 4pm on and off. Knew the only way to get through the rest of this day was to drink. Normal people don't understand this stinging thinking! I am only just reading posts now. I did half hour after taking naltrexone but I'm raw. I'm done. I'm one of those unfortunates that they talk about in aa. I may as well start digging my grave..
    • Posted

I don't believe you are done, PF.  Something made you take that tablet today, that is good.  And you are getting closer to the hour waiting time.  Considering how much I understand how your brain will have been screaming at you to drink today after getting such a rush of alcohol yesterday, that is a pretty good effort :-)

Since your brain has also got the endorphin rush today too, tomorrow may be very similar.

I will be home all day tomorrow working.  Why don't you message me when you are needing to drink and we will chat for the hour?   If your mind gets focused on something, you will suprised how quickly the hour will pass.

• Posted

I used to think I was one of the unfortunates as well.  And then I obtained 8 years sobriety...so don't GIVE UP.

• Posted

I take it 'unfortunates' is AA code slang for those that are lost and beyond saving?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.