Panic symptoms before bowel movement

Posted , 117 users are following.

Hi there

For a couple of years now I have been having a very strange happen to me, it used to happen occasionally but now it is every time I go for a bowel movement.

I will be happily going about my business or working or whatever when suddenly out of the blue I get this horrible feeling which is hard to describe, like a sinking feeling or impending doom. My fingers go tingly, I have difficulty breathing, shaky, fast heart rate...and then I need a bowel movement immediately. If I go I start to feel better after while, if for whatever reason I can't go right away it feels as if I will die.

anybody else with anything similar?

12 likes, 302 replies

302 Replies

Next
  • Edited

It sounds like a panic attack and stress can cause your bowel to over react. Try meditation or relaxation therapy.

• Posted

Thanks for replying but it's the other way round when I need a bm then I get panicky.

• Edited

You will need to get some therapy for this. However, when you get a panic attack before your bowel movement, the stress of it can still upset your bowel . The gut brain axis is very strong and what you feel in your mind, can have an impact on your intestines. Even if the panic attacks are not aggravating your bowel at the moment, over time the cumulative effect of your mental distress could irritate it.

• Edited

I have the same issue. Often i don't even know that i need a poo but the overwhelming anxiety is only relieved once I'vs been.

• Posted

I can so relate,whenever I get stressed or anxious,this can cause an IBS flare,which for me is often. I usually get very bloated and can't go or I can an get diareaha very quickly.

• Edited

Hey Sasical72

You posted a while ago so you may not see this reply, but I get this too. It is NOT a panic attack or anxiety, it's a feeling one gets ONLY when a bowel movement needed and the relief is immediate after the BM, and on one goes with normal life. I get a feeling of 'doom', it is very hard to describe. I'm pretty sure you don't need therapy for it... Ive had for many years, it's been investigated with no cause found. I'm very used to it now as I've realised there's nothing sinister to be concerned about.

• Edited

Thst's it exactly Anne29409, only before a BM and it is like a feeling of doom as you say, I call it a sinking feeling because I don't know how to explain it. I'm going to try to pm you to ask what tests you have had and if you have any ideas as to why it might happen. Thank you!!

• Edited

I experience this exact feeling. But I remember a past incident that I believe triggers this reaction? I was driving and didn't have access to a bathroom. The panic was so severe I felt like I was going to faint and crash and just die. When I finally reached a gas station it was all a blur. After the bowel movement I felt a lot better but the panic stayed with me. Worrying so much about it and experiencing it over and over has created an unhealthy relationship with my mind and gut. I have been doing yoga and meditation to connect with my body better. I've been reading and learning a lot about the vagus nerve which I think plays a big role in my panic with using the bathroom.

• Edited

I have the same thing, such a horrible scary feeling! Have you found out or been told of any way to relieve/get rid of it? thanks

• Posted

Hi, nope, still going for tests, trying diets, different kinds of probiotics, unfortunately with no success yet. Will inform if I ever have any success with anything. And please anybody who finds an answer or a solution please let us know.

• Edited

this is exactly what ive been experiencing for the past 2 months. i have crohns disease but i dont think its related as this just started out of nowhere and i have had Crohn's 22 years

i described it to someone and they said its a Vagus Nerve response/reflex to bowel movements.

it's not every time i need to poop but when it does i really feel like I'm about to die like a heart attack or panic attack. it's terrifying. i haven't found a solution yet

• Edited

it's one big horrible mistery lol, can I ask, are you a female around peri age? I am and of late I've been wondering if this could be hormonal, even though I can't quite see how. It's just that most replies are from females

• Edited

Female, 33 years old. I've been getting this for about a year now and have no idea why. Doctors don't really take it seriously lol

• Edited

Today I had a horrendous episode. I just don't know what do you. Any suggestions at all please? I' m desperate

• Edited

same thing right here. 28 year old female. seemed to get better when i was on progesterone. stopped taking it and issue came back almost immediately after it was out of my system. it has to be a vagus nerve issue. sometimes i get pain around belly button too. my mind races, heart pounds, my spine tingles, i get pressure around my ears and i feel like i need to flee from wherever i am and lay down.

• Edited

That's interesting about the progesterone...I sometimes wonder if it's hormonal as I'm in perimenopause, but I just don't get why I would have hormonal issues ONLY when needing the toilet.

• Edited

i know this whole thread is a bit old and I'm still glad i found it. this is something that has only recently started for me. like I'm the last 8 months or so. i begin to feel my gut move and i know I'm going to need to use the bathroom soon...then the panic feeling hits and once I've used the bathroom it's gone. I'll often get the post adrenalin shivers depending on how bad the panic attack was prior to going to the bathroom. i know what to expect and still these poo panic attacks unnerve me. just feeling a little relieved that I'm not the only one out here dealing with this.

• Edited

i would love to ask you some questions because Ive been SUFFERING with this on/off since spring 2020. No one understands. I couldn't believe I googled this question and actually landed here.

• Edited

I have the same issue, impending doom and all. It started 7 months ago, no cause I can figure out. I just wish there was a way to get rid of this. I try to reason through it, knowing it's okay, but it's so hard to focus on anything else. I tried to explain to my dr, got referred to a therapist, who just gives strategies to work through the anxiety . They did do an ultrasound of organs incase it's something like the gallbladder, nothing found. I'm following for any insight anyone has.

• Edited

I want to quick add I also get the fleeing to go lay down feeling. female 37yo.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.