Panic Triggers

Posted , 2 users are following.

My triggers started with driving, I would panic, pull over, get out of the car, and wonder what is going on, before I found out what was happening. Another trigger is the day of the week, Sundays, that trigger isn't hard for me to figure out. Bottom line, these triggers are all about thinking about myself, this priority of thinking about myself is what used to cause the panic, it's the anticiaption, it's going to happen, so, it happens. What am I, my worst enemy, trying to punish myself for some unknown reason, maybe. Life is more interesting than thinking of me so often, there's so much more, work, relationships, hobbies, working out, accomplishing things, being proud of yourself. There are much more important things to think about like doing the best you can in every endeavor you choose, your body can get along fine without you obsessed with you.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I punish myself when I have anxiety and panic attacks. My brain runs the worst case scenario game with me and it's like my head is trying to punish me for some unknown reason.  It's a horrible feelin when you sit and beat yourself up for no reason other than something my head has crated in some split second thought. 

I am thankful for what I have, a wife and kids, a job and everything else. But when my mind playes this game it's like everything else fades from view and the only thing to think about is me. 

I am my own worst enemy and while I think I am protecting people by not telling and sharing I am most often driving them away. My wife hates it when I go into one of these moods because everything she says or does my head twists and morphs it into something far worse. 

• Posted

I'm fortunate in that I know why my first encounter with panic started. I simply relived that experience, and whats worse I anticipated it, that anticipation is what can trigger the attack. My other trigger is sort of addendum to the original, I mentioned here before, it's a specific day of the week. What ever the reasons, I know my mind is conditioned to bluff my body physically, I'd rather lift weights to affect my body. Anyway, the following works for me, as stupid, as it sounds, doing it, even makes you look like a clown. I protrude my stomach, like ptretending I'm very fat, I told you it sounds dumb, but it really works, Some time ago I read about this, and was surprised, there is a physical reason this thing works, something to do with the way your breathing when your stomach is extended, this is my emergency rip cord when I need it.
  • Posted

The driving panic your are experiencing sounds a little bit like my friend who had many forms of ocd.At the time I had no idea there were so many forms and that she was suffering from spectrum of things There are so many bad drivers on the road it so good to be careful but must awful to panic .Perhaps it has nothing with ocd but when friend took natural substances to increase serotonin it got a bit better and driving wasn't a such chore or ordeal but it took a while because doctors missed what she was experiencing.
    • Posted

Fortunate for me I've overcome the driving problem many years ago, as well as most of the anxiety problems I've had in the past, Every once in a while I will get a tinge that is easy to overcome. I attibute my recovery is acceptance of this problem, that in essence is what I created, so I chose to "uncreate". 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.