Panoptix Lens for cataract but can’t read and intermediate vision is bad. Anyone else?

Posted , 17 users are following.

I received a Panoptix lens implant in my non-dominant eye after cataract removal. The surgeon assured me it would let me read and work on the computer without glasses. He did warn about night time vision problems which are not relevant here. however, i have never been able to read or work on the computer with this lens! My near and intermediate vision is worse than it was when I had cataracts. In all my research online I have found no one this has happened to. Surgeon just said that the calculations they make are normally very very accurate but for some reason I'm just one of those people whose "vision system" wont work with the Panoptix. What is weird is he then tried to convince me to get Panoptix in my dominant eye, because these lenses work better together. He also suggested additional surgery to my eye to "tweak" it, but doing so would take away from the 20/20 ling distance vision the lens gave me, which is the only good thing about the lens so far. Then he wanted me to get Crystalens in my dominant eye, which admittedly wont get me good reading vision, and I can just wear reading glasses.

I don't need emotional support or any "attaboy, keep at it". I just want to know if there is ANYONE else out there who cant read or work on the computer after getting the Paniptix lens. I have searched the Internet and I can't find a single instance.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello,

I have the Pan Optic multi focal lens in both of my eyes. This lens was recommended by my ophthalmologist who I never should have trusted. He was probably thinking more about the kick back that he would be getting from the company rather than the care he should have been providing to me as a patient. I am approaching the two-year mark since my surgery. I find it difficult to read and work on the computer even with glasses designed for light sensitivity. This past week I consulted with a surgeon, Dr. Steven Safran for a possible lens exchange. This doctor advised me that he can perform the surgery even though I also had the YAG procedure done on my eyes by my original ophthalmologist. I also have issues with night driving, my eyes are always tired, vision is not clear up close and on computer. Sunlight, florescent lights and screen time always makes me feel worse.

Consult with a good ophthalmologist before proceeding with your second eye. Good luck.

• Posted

What lens are you thinking will replace your Panoptix?

• Edited

Hi, i had the Panoptix IOL implantation in my right eye in Sep 2023 to clear my cataract and to get rid of glasses. Unfortunately five months down the line and a YAG laser surgery for PCO a month back, my vision remains blurry with the half circle / arc in the corner of my eye. As of Feb 2024, I kind of closed my case with the doctor with his conclusion that somehow I am one of those slim minority of patients for whom Panoptix does not work. Kind of sucks, really 😦

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.