PanOptix Trifocal Toric IOL implant

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 47 year old male who has noticed a quite sudden decline in my eye sight the last 12 months or so. I have had PRK in my left eye some years ago. My right remains untreated but I have been using contact lenses for 30 plus years.

My ophthalmologist told me about 7 months ago that i had cataracts and upon my return visit recently, (and a continual noticeable reduction in sight) he has told me i require cataract surgery.

He suggested that I choose between trifocals and mono focal IOL's. He said it would be less easy to get my sight correct in my treated eye.

I have been told that they choose Alcon Panoptix trifocal IOL's.

I would really prefer to see all distances unimpeded by spectacles but am not sure what to do after reading this forum. I dont know my exact current measurements but with my contact lenses in can read about 20/50 but not clearly.

Anyone have any idea on these IOL's?

I'm from Australia, btw. Thanks, Dan. .

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I recently had cataract surgery in both eyes and had multifocal lenses implanted. All I know is they were made by Abott, Model ZXR00. I can now see without glasses both near and far.

• Posted

I had cataract surgery in Oct 2018 and ended up with worse sight than I had before I had the surgery, At my post op assessment , I was told my new lens had been put in 'off centre' and I am now awaiting Laser Surgery to correct it.. Has anyone had this procedure and can tell me what is like please..

It is my first time writing on this subject and I realise that I am nowhere near as bad as other contributors to this forum, Thanku for reading my post..

• Posted

Thanks Molly. It's hard to get reviews on these trifocals and this forum is one of the more complete I've yet to discover. People seem very happy to assist. Great that your surgery went so well!

• Posted

Sorry to hear your surgery didn't go so well. I hope you get a good result from your follow up procedure.

• Posted

Dear Molly,

I am considering to use multifocal (trifocal toric) lens too but was told there are night vision issues eg. halos, splinters around lights and ghostly images. Do you experience these issues and does it affect night driving? Thanks !!!!

• Posted

Remember that the vast majority of cataract surgeries are successful. That said it's good that you are doing your research!

I had cataract surgery on my left eye about 8 weeks ago. It went very well and I've had no problems. I would have loved to be free from glasses/contacts, but a lot of people seem to have issues with the multi focal lens (glare, halos, etc.). I also thought about getting a distance lens until reading stories from people who were bummed about losing their close up vision (for a woman trying to put eye makeup on, etc. this seemed to be a big deal). I've been nearsighted all my life, so wearing glasses/contacts isn't a big deal to me (I'm 64). Plus I was having surgery on only one eye. My cataract developed after having a detached retina repaired (side effect of vitrectomy surgery). The prescription for both my eyes needed to be close and " in sync" to avoid double vision and other problems.

If both my eyes had needed surgery, I most likely would have gone with multifocal lens (Symphony was what my surgeon offered). I'm not sure the Trifocal is available in the U.S. yet? Anyway, if you trust your surgeon and you know s/he has done many of these surgeries, has a good reputation, does the surgery him/herself only and has told you that s/he thinks you'll have a good outcome, I'd trust the surgeon. Don't feel shy about asking him/her questions, or getting a second opinion.

It is highly likely you will be pleased with your new vision. Just be sure to carefully follow all the pre- and post-op instructions and remember that patience is a good thing as you wait for your eye to heal. I'm amazed at how clear everything seems through the eye that had the cataract surgery (and I'm wearing glasses!).

Keep us posted!

• Posted

Thanks for the detailed reply. I'm not against the mono vision option though would love to get good vision both near, intermediate and far. My surgeon seems very experienced but again, not a lot of info here in Aus considering how common and op this is.

I have organised a call with my ophthalmologist to hopefully clear up my mind. This is a big decision.

• Posted

As an update, i had my left eye implant done yesterday. I had no discomfort during the surgery. It was quick and painless. I had my surgery at about 1:30 in the afternoon. I had a patch and a shield over my eye for the rest of the day/night. I resisted the urge to tale the patch off and see what my vision was like.i suspected it would be better to wait until the next day (today) at the follow up appointment.

I did suffer a bit of discomfort at about 3:30am. My eye was quite sore and didnt allow me to sleep. I took pain relief medication and was asleep by 4:30am.

This morning my eye felt much better. Still recognised that i'd had surgery but not painful, just a little gritty.

At the follow up they removed my shield and patch and my eye sight was excellent. From only being able to read the top 3 lines, i could read almost all of the bottom line. My near vision test was also excellent. I was advised to expect so fluctuations in my vision as it heals. I then had my first lot of eye drops.

My eye is pretty blood shot and ugly and there is mild discomfort even now, 1.5 days post op.

I have noticed some halos around headlights but not super annoying at all. But it was during the day, a wet and overcast one.

I also have an issue where when i look up and to the left i see flickering. I hadn't time to notice it at the follow up so will see how it progresses and mention it at the 1 week follow up if it still happens.

Overall I am very happy with the results, I have the clearest, sharpest, brightest vision I can recall. The trifocal Panoptix IOL is working great at all 3 distances. Definitely worth the extra $ and far better for me, being only 47, to be free of glasses and contact lenses for the first time since I was a boy. My right eye is still to be done and the difference is night and day.

I look forward to my eye getting back to full health in regards to redness and discomfort and to many many years of amazing vision thanks to my doc and the Panoptix trifocal lens that I have received.

• Posted

Dear Dan,

Noted your last post was 15 months ago....would you have any updates on the progress especially on the halos and light splinter issues widely reported? And will be great to know if you also did the same for the other eye.

I need to get both eyes done and my surgeon recommended Trifocal as well. The thought of being spectables free is really appealing. Thanks!!

• Posted

I'll chime in with my experience. My operation was 11 months ago and I am glasses free. That was my expected outcome and why I chose the Panoptix trifocals.

Yes, I experience halos from bright lights but also had that situation pre surgery with my cataracts. The halos are not bad and do not prevent me from driving. I have noticed light splinters or shafts with one eye but it not even distracting. Considering that I might be driving at night or experiencing situations with bright lights only 5% of time, then halos are really a non-issue.

Unfortunately, the surgeon cannot guarantee that halos will not be a problem for you, but it seems that the majority of patients are fine with it.

• Posted

I'll chime in as well. I have a very long post that share my experience over several months. It's on page 2 now, and is titled "Cataract Surgery Just Completed -- Sharing My Experience PanOptix Tri-focal".

Lots of good discussion on that thread, including from one former forum member who was extremely active, and had EDOF in one eye and Tri-focal in the other eye. Tri-focal is a more recent innovation than EDOF, and while there are pros and cons with each, tri-focal is considered superior by most.

I was realistic with my expectations (they never promised me 100% glasses free), and the outcome exceeds expectations (I'm 100% glasses free).Yes, you should expect some halos and starburst, but for the vast majority they really aren't that bad.For me, a see exactly two small and very faint halos -- but they are small and faint, and as the brian neuro adapts, they become fainter and less noticable, but are still there. I see mild starburst. But for me these do not impair night driving at all, and much much better than before surgery with glare from the cataracts.

Of course everyone is different, and if you do a lot of night driving (e.g. you are a trucker), then that might steer you away from a premium lens.

• Posted

I had the trifocal PanOptix put in both eyes October 2019 - About nine months ago. It was such a huge decision. I know that anxiety, not only about the surgery, but making a very important decision on what you have implanted in your eye for the rest of your life. I am very happy with the lens, but my vision was horrible to begin with. Very nearsighted, astigmatism, huge floaters, extreme dry eyes, and cataracts causing giant halos and worsening vision...

What I would say, is that it is hard to virtually try to see the world through someone else's eyes. What pleases one person, doesn't another. Ask yourself this: Do I mind wearing eye glasses? I HATED them. I wore thick lenses for over 50 years. Secondly, since I was nearsighted; a lens for distance would make me farsighted, How would you feel about being farsighted? If you are already farsighted, you might be used to it, and hence a non-issue. Halo's are very apparent and so are "sparklers" around lights. That being said, when I first got my IOLs, I was OBSESSED with everything about them. I also had "light flickering" (gone now). As time has gone by, I have gotten more and more used to them, and most of the time, I don't even think about them. Sometimes, when driving at night, I may think "Oh their headlights are bright"...and then I remember I have IOLs; maybe they are contributing. My driving at night is much better than before the surgery. I, personally, don't have any problems, but, what I read on posts tells me that it really depends on the person. I prefer having a wide range of very clear vision and dealing with the light issue. I never had good vision, so personally, I am ecstatic to be free from glasses and contacts, but everyone is different, so I would hate to recommend something that would make someone else unhappy. I would say to take everyone's opinions and ask yourself what is most important for your vision needs. Remember there is no perfect vision after a certain age, it is all compromise. It's a big decision. I wish you great success and happiness in whatever route you take!

• Posted

I only just registered, and believe that any posts with external links end up getting automatically blocked (even though terms of use allow providing links), so I'm reposting what I tried to post before without links.

I'm in Canada and will be getting the PanOptix tri-focal IOL in three weeks.

My opthamalmologist is currently using either the PanOptix or the FineVision IOL for patients who select the premium tri-focal option (choice will depending on eye measurement).When I first was told I had cataracts, I did some initial research and was concerned about the loss of contrast with multi-focals (as they split the light, some of the light is lost). So I was asking about EDOF lenses. But apparantly the latest generation of tri-focals are getting 86% to 88% light transmission, so lost of contrast is not much of a concern (as we're getting loss of light with cataracts anyways).

Since I can't see to post links, if you want to see a really good article that explains how the PanOptix lens works, just search for "theophthalmologist" and "panoptix", and you will find a really good pdf on theophthalmologist site.

Also if you search for "Trifocal intraocular lenses: a comparison of the visual performance and quality of vision provided by two different lens designs" you will find a good research article that compares the PanOptix with the FineVision (both have very good results).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.