Panproctocolectomy with permanent ileostomy

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi ... Yes I hav surgery behind me Friday past. I was mentally in good place for it . I was in theatre for approx 6 hrs and had it by keyhole . 5 pin prick holes and a really neat stoma and short suture line at my butt where they took my colon through and then stitched . My consultant told me my colon was extremely inflamed and he wondered how I had any function with it at all ,he could c no sign of any tumours thankfully , but will hav to wait for histology results to b sure to b sure...at least I know I made the right decision so I hav no misgivings about it . After theatre went to recovery for approx 6 hours where I was extremely well cared for . Pain relief is by epidural Which has worked well to date . I then returned to ward .. I had tea which I drank few mouthfuls of and toast of which I chewed 3 mouthfuls ...stops wind and gets system going .Very sleepy post anaesthetic ,dozed off and all nite and was relatively comfortable . I have a drip up ... I hav 1 drain from abdominal cavity , an epidural and a catheter all very comfortable . I was out sitting for hour yest morning . I had meals all day yest just 6 mouthfuls so I didn't sicken myself . Wind builds up easy and I discovered that having couple rich tea plain biScuits An hour b4 my meal and some water lifted wind and I didn't feel nauseated . Had visitor in afternoon , was back in bed then back out sitting for 3 hours yest evening . Slept fairly well last nite. Up and out washed and sitting for 9am and had breakfast . Stoma bag is operating , passing wind and some sticky matter , it appears ok . Day 2 have been able to eat low residue diet ... Pain has been well controlled with epidural and catheter running well. Drainage tube draining well from abdominal cavity. All in all feel well. Slept fairly well last night. Up this am had epidural down . Catheter removed , drip down showered and hair washed and feel so much better. Pain now controlled by OxyContin long action so am pleased with my progress. Managing stoma bag ok .

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

So glad you are doing well MJ.......now the hard bit....let others look after you for a change! Take care xxxx
  • Posted

Hi Maryo

Glad you are making your way home and your are making a good recovery.

It would be great if we had a local group where we could meet and discuss with people about to embark on surgery and those having had it.  I know my local hospital have every once in a while, a drop in session for IBD and Crohns patients but it would be good to meet up with people at the same stages as us, if that makes sense!

I feel that being on this website has made more aware that others are also suffering or recovering and I feel that I have made a few 'friends' in the process.

take care and if possible, keep us all informed on your progress x

• Posted

Hi....thank u for that 😊 Have u no local  UC & Crohn's ileostomy association or maybe that is it . Yes it is great to talk to other people at that decision or post decision stage . This forum is excellent as are a lot of others. I actually read queries and answers etc from lot of forums which I found very informative. I actually looked at number of utube videos on people changing their stoma etc and that was also very good. It is so much better than years ago as we are able to have so much contact with each other which is comforting,uplifting and encouraging . Shall keep u posted . I have actually just come to bed ....my lower back is quite sore...I have cocodamol 30/500 and ibubrufen for pain relief but feel I could do with something bit stronger but will try and stagger taking them to the best my ability. Am very tired. 😴😴 Talk soon x
  • Posted

Hi Maryjo thank you so much for all that really useful info. You have been amazing! I hope that if I have surgery I can be just as brave. Keep in touch with your progress.

barbara x

• Posted

I have just been diagnosed and am going to have my operation on 6th Feb I got all this to come

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.