Panty liners or not?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am wondering how members feel about the wisdom or otherwise of using panty liners with LS? At first I started using them to avoid staining underwear with all the creams, etc., but I now wonder if they are making things worse, especially on "raw" areas. Any advice or views?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

i found they irritated me. i tend to find cotton pads less irritating & stick to cotton underwear

• Posted

Totally agree jeannie i buy the organic ones but lately they irritate me too

• Posted

Its a no for pads for me I find then very irritating, if I do have to use them the cotton top ones are the least irritating

• Posted

Hi Jeannie, Since LS, my underwear has been cotton slips. No panties, just skirts with slips and air under them. I'm 70, so now I'm doing lots of kegels to avoid ever having to wear underwear and panty liners. Whenever I thought I'd give underwear and slacks another try, my LS responded badly. I avoid open stairways though.... 😃 The good news is, skirts are back! All the best to you on this LS journey. Andrea

• Posted

andrea, How does doing kegels avoid the need for underwear?

I am finding all my cotton underwear is stained and now some are even developing holes. I think the steroid cream is causing this as I am now using it during the day (had initially used it only at bedtime). Do your slips end up with stains? Not sure I have ever seen a cotton slip actually. I've been thinking of trying an all cotton panty liner if there is one. Have found the price of cotton underwear has certainly increased. Just purchased some at a brand name outlet store and they were nearly $8 each. They used to be $4 each in packages of 3.

• Posted

Beverly,

Kegels help with urinary leakage which often comes with age. If I can avoid leakage, I can continue without underwear etc.

I only apply cortisone at night, and I don't always need coconut oil, so I don't have too much problem with stains. I remember (way back) when I was still wearing pants and panties, there was a lot of staining. But I think that was because I needed more lubricants to avoid the irritation from the cloth rubbing against the LS. Pants are worse for that than skirts.

If you google the following, you'll find some nice cotton slips that wear well.... T33/0012A pure cotton vintage lace trim waist slip. I think I bought from M&S last time. I paid $38 Canadian per slip in 2017. They do last a long time though. Good quality!

• Posted

Thanks for the clarification, Andrea, Fortunately I don't have the leakage problem ...yet, but I do have to prepare for the sudden sneeze. I also don't have much of a problem with pants so long as fabrics have some stretch and don't wear them tight. Only in the warm weather do I wear skirts and dresses and I'm not sure about wearing above the knee length while going commando! I'll check M & S if they carry cotton clothing. It's becoming more and more difficult to find in the US.

• Posted

M&S has an outlet in Canada. I would hope in the US too.... Cotton is hard to find!

• Posted

I used this for years and probably they certainly made me sore. The seem to mould into all your nooks and crannies so since diagnoses I havent worn them. Im age related incontinent which is a shame as thats why I used them but I got told not to use them.

• Posted

Interesting thread! I've been using cotton liners lately and they definitely help me. I buy the Rael organic cotton panty liners from Amazon. It helps me with discharge and keeping the area dry.

• Posted

Thanks all for your helpful replies. I am 64 and struggle a little lately with "leakage" which was irritating the LS. Also as per Beverley I was finding cotton underwear was rapidly wearing to holes, from the steroid cream no doubt. I will give the liners a miss for a while, although going without underwear as Andrea suggests is certainly not an option for me as we wear knee length skirts at work and are getting in and out of cars all day!

• Posted

jeannie, just as an update I decided to use a very thin pad for the past several weeks to save the underwear and had no ill effects from the pad. But like everyone else I seem to experience LS somewhat differently. Saw my gyn yesterday and will now start using another steroid and only at night so maybe I can forgo the pad altogether. I'd rather not be using pads on the chance that the inhibit air flow, but will keep an eye on the underwear situation. Have just purchased a new batch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.