Pap smear/buring urination

Posted , 5 users are following.

Can a pap smear cause burning urination afterwards?  I had this soon after the pap.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Its normal. As lomg as it goes away hours later if it last more than 3 days i would contact the dr if i were you
    • Posted

I also had spotting which my doctor did tell me I might have.  She did not mention I may have burning urination.  I sometimes do get spotting after pap smears but I don't recall ever having burning urination afterwards.  If it lasts I will give them a call.

• Posted

The speculum can cause irritation, and in older women, can even cause damage - UTIs can also occur, especially in older women - it's easier to do a HPV self test - 95% of women aged 30 to 60 are HPV- and therefore cannot benefit from pap testing.

Even more: a lot of these women might choose to forget all further testing -  if they're HPV- and no longer sexually active or confidently monogamous. 

It's unacceptable to put women through speculum exams when a self-test is available, it's reliable and easy to use. If they were serious about further reducing the incidence of this always fairly rare cancer (in the developed world) they'd offer women a more comfortable/acceptable way of testing - I know many women stop testing because they can't bear the pain/discomfort/embarrassment etc. of the speculum exam.

I'm very pleased I got to the evidence many years ago and have spared myself the ordeal of unnecessary speculum exams and the risk of false positive pap tests and potentially harmful over-treatment.

• Posted

Can women in the UK buy the self test if so where please. Im 66 havn't had a smear for 6 years, after my last experience vowed id never have another one again and i never did either.

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I'm sure you can, I'll just check with a couple of online UK friends, part of a health forum, you're also, close to the Netherlands, they have a very reliable HPV self test device. I'll get back to you.

I'm not surprised  - the speculum exam can cause a lot of pain and damage in older women and can lead to UTI's and often throws up a false positive that can lead to even uglier places.

Note that the Dutch and Finnish programs have always stopped at age 60, we over-screen here in Australia putting women through a lot of unnecessary testing and "treatments"...our latest program will cease at about 72, crazy!

If you're HPV-...you might choose to get some advice, I think a Dutch doctor would probably tell you to forget about further testing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.